Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. New to the forums here. A few of the guys over at dodgeforums sent me this way.

Have been thinking about converting my 1998 1500 QC 4x4, to a 4BT. I have been thinking about it for a while now, but was recently reinspired by an article in Diesel Power featuring a 4BT in a 70s Bronco.

So, my truck has 143000 miles, and runs good with no leaks of anykind. Even burns almost no oil. Just tired of the gas mileage and I do not want to shell out big bucks for a HD diesel. Hoping to find what I need here!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I did a Dodge Durango, weight might be about the same I think, in the 4500LB range... it's working out well. I get somewhere around 25mpg i'm pretty sure, haven't gotten any solid numbers yet.

if you are in Burlington, NJ, i'd offer to help...

oh, and welcome.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
What does a 4BT 'analog' engine do to the onboard computers in the late model trucks? Do they go bonkers looking for sensor feedback and finally shut down in a cloud of smoke or is it ho-hum, carry on regardless...?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
What does a 4BT 'analog' engine do to the onboard computers in the late model trucks? Do they go bonkers looking for sensor feedback and finally shut down in a cloud of smoke or is it ho-hum, carry on regardless...?
I had to fool around with mine to get it to stay running, it would shut off when it realized the engine wasn't running. Other than that, it doesn't seem to care. I think if I got the crank position sensor mounted up it probably wouldn't have any problems. There are some other small peculiarities, like I can't get my shifter position indicator to work properly, I can get it to work in R, D, 2, 1, but not P or N for some reason...

Oh, and I still have a bunch of the sensors, like coolant temp, oil pressure, etc.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks, Durango! I have a '90 Ram gasser and last year spent $1,000 on sensors and gizmos, replacing the entire system. I'm more familiar than I want to be with what a major pain they can be, even when everything that's supposed to be there is there! I'd love to stuff in a 1st Gen 6 and use those parts for pistol practice.... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts