Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there different Dodge bell housings?

What I mean: Will a NV3500 from a 1/2 ton 4x4 bolt to the adapter meant for a 6BT/NV4500? What about the flywheel/clutch to make this work?

I have a NV4500 in my Dodge/6BT and as a HD unit it is great. However I want to build a daily driver for MPG more than anything and like the drivability of the NV3500 (no granny-gear, smaller split between the "road" gears, etc.).

AND-- the 10° offset of the Chevy adapter just bothers me from a visual aspect even though this powertrain will probably go into a 73-87 K5 or K10.

(The Ford adapter isn't an option - Not in a Chevy at least! :rasta: )

·
Registered
34 Posts
I may be wrong but I was sure that the NV3500 and the 3550 bell was not removable from the trans. And the smallblock bell pattern is different from the Cummins. If you get past that I'm sure the available clutches would not hold up to the low end torque. All that said , half the things that I've done are because somebody said it couldn't be done. SteveinAZ

·
Registered
267 Posts
why don't you just get an adapter to a small block ford bell housing?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I always thought the 3500's shift poorly. I'd sure go with one of many easy to bolt up to the 4BT Ford 5 speeds over a NV3500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry digging up an old post.
Thanks for index of topics...it brought me to this old post.
I have some more questions about the NV3500/3550 behind a Cummins 4BT.

I know Stacey David installed a 3550 in Crazy Horse Project, 1966 half cab Ford Bronco.
In front of this NV3550 was a strong small block Ford 349 Stroker with near 400 horsepower.

So, if a NV3550 can stand up to hot SBF gasser, shouldn't it hold up to a Cummins 4BT?

Additionally, I did not fully understand all the fitment issues with the NV3500/3550 to a Cummins.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry digging up an old post.
Thanks for index of topics...it brought me to this old post.
I have some more questions about the NV3500/3550 behind a Cummins 4BT.

I know Stacey David installed a 3550 in Crazy Horse Project, 1966 half cab Ford Bronco. In front of this NV3550 was a strong small block Ford 349 Stroker with near 400 horsepower.

So, if a NV3550 can stand up to hot SBF gasser, shouldn't it hold up to a Cummins 4BT?

Additionally, I did not fully understand all the fitment issues with the NV3500/3550 to a Cummins.
Not necessarily, I know that the 4BT being a diesel engine on average will produce more torque than a gasser will, not sure what kinda numbers the 349 puts out though. I myself was looking at allot of transmissions before i settled on the ZFS 5-42 for it's torque, availability, cheapness and I can still get replacement parts reasonably priced for it.

Pantherman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not necessarily, I know that the 4BT being a diesel engine on average will produce more torque than a gasser will, not sure what kinda numbers the 349 puts out though. I myself was looking at allot of transmissions before i settled on the ZFS 5-42 for it's torque, availability, cheapness and I can still get replacement parts reasonably priced for it.

Pantherman
Thanx for the reply.
I know little about transmission found in Fords
What did you use for a Cummins to ZF Adapter?
What Bell Housing Bolt Pattern is this ZF?
What Ford products would I find one?
What transfercase works well with the ZF?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Advance adapters makes a adapter plate to couple the 3550 or ax15 to the ford bellhousing, they also make a bellhousing that bolts to the 3550 or ax15 that is for chevy aplications.the chevy bellhousing needs to be modified in the starter location for proper starter engagement. I have a modified chevy bellhousing for the 3550 if anybody needs one 250 pm me if interested (couldnt return it after modifying it to work with the cummins). Advance adapters says the 3550 is conservitively rated at 300 ft torque and should hold up fine behind the 4bt as long as the 4bt wasnt modified too much.I will edit this post as soon as the bellhousing is unavailable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts