Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
That fitting kicks-butt. Paul's fix looks great, would brazing it on be another option?

I have read about this "dreaded?" (does not seem too bad) hydraulic clutch issue, but have not looked into it much.

From what I understand there is only one slave that will work and it is tethered to it's master via a hard plastic line.

Would a 1998 diesel Dodge Ram slave be the one to use (this looks like the common one)?
RAYBESTOS Part # SC360085

Also, what master do y'all use? The factory Dodge one would require the same adapter, correct? Would any 1" diameter master will work once fitted to the firewall?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
808 Posts
I use a NAPA 35085 Clutch Master Cylinder. This fits Power Wagons and M37's real well. I then use a NAPA 360051 Clutch Slave. This slave is for a 1994-2000 Dodge CTD with NV-4500. I get a OEM plastic interconnect line MC to Slave from a junk yard to harvest the O ring special fittings. From that point, I make my adapter as described in a previous post. Flex rubber brake hose goes from the Slave to frame, then I use Steel brake tubing all the way to the Clutch Master Cylinder.
Sure, it could be brazed, just be careful with the heat so you dont deform the fitting.......and be sure to remove the O ring before you heat her up.

Paul

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know how the quality compares to NAPA, but Schucks is half the price for the slave.

Similar part number: SC360051

Go online to partsamerica.com look up the part. Print it out and take it in. The store will then match the online price. Should be true at any Kragen, Checker, or Schucks. It will even tell you if your local store has stock.

·
Registered
329 Posts
so thats how the hyd. shop is doing it! Thanks for posting the mystery behind the parts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't know how the quality compares to NAPA, but Schucks is half the price for the slave.

Similar part number: SC360051

Go online to partsamerica.com look up the part. Print it out and take it in. The store will then match the online price. Should be true at any Kragen, Checker, or Schucks. It will even tell you if your local store has stock.
Thanks for that Part Number. I will check it out for my next swap.

Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Howdy,
Paul, I like that master, looks like it could be adapted to many applications, any idea what the piston travel is? Does anyone besides Napa sell it?

To keep my options open, are there other 1" bore master cylinders that accept threaded fittings and bolt to the firewall?

It looks like the SC360051 is listed for 1994-1997 pickups where the SC360085 is listed for 1998+, I wonder what the difference is between them.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
808 Posts
Howdy,
Paul, I like that master, looks like it could be adapted to many applications, any idea what the piston travel is? Does anyone besides Napa sell it?

To keep my options open, are there other 1" bore master cylinders that accept threaded fittings and bolt to the firewall?

It looks like the SC360051 is listed for 1994-1997 pickups where the SC360085 is listed for 1998+, I wonder what the difference is between them.

Thanks,
John
John;

I dont have a loose MC that I can measure the piston Stroke. I only know of NAPA selling this but I am sure you can cross the NAPA Number to some other Jobber. I found back in 2003 that this MC was a good match for the NV-4500 Slave, I thought I wrote down the MC stroke and bore back in 2003 , but I cant find it. It gives full travel of the slave. I have not look further for other MC's as this fits my needs. You are correct, it is very adaptable to many applications. It especially fits my needs on Power Wagons/WC's and M37's. The MC does not come with a push rod.

Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Paul, I searched around and saw that master on a power wagon forum. A two bolt one would work fine for me too once I determine stroke and secure it to the firewall the proper distance down from the pivot to achieve full stroke.

Maybe my local parts store has clutch master specs.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Thanks Paul, I searched around and saw that master on a power wagon forum. A two bolt one would work fine for me too once I determine stroke and secure it to the firewall the proper distance down from the pivot to achieve full stroke.

Maybe my local parts store has clutch master specs.
If you find any specs on that NAPA MC, please post them so I can add them to my book.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Paul, what did you use for a push-rod? I did not get a good look at my master, does it clip into the master piston, or just stick in there?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
808 Posts
John;

The push rod just sits in the NAPA 35085 Clutch Master, and is retained by the boot shown in the picture. The rod is 3/8". The MC end is just rounded. On my pedal end its threaded 3/8" x 16 to screw into the pedal block.

Paul

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Paul,
did you make your rod (weld end on to make eye at pedal), or buy one?

I suppose I should mount the distance away from the pivot where it will see full stroke when pedal is depressed, correct?

John;

The push rod just sits in the NAPA 35085 Clutch Master, and is retained by the boot shown in the picture. The rod is 3/8". The MC end is just rounded. On my pedal end its threaded 3/8" x 16 to screw into the pedal block.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
My Suspended pedals do not use the typical 'eye'. Rather there is a steel block threaded 3/8" x 16 and the block is fastened to the pedal with a shoulder bolt so its free to swivel as the pedal is pushed. The Clutch MC push rod screws into this block. The other end that is inside the MC is just rounded. Yes, I make my own.
And Yes, You want full travel when the clutch is pushed.

Paul

1 - 20 of 33 Posts