Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched believe me, but have some unanswered/unsure questions.

Im looking to get all my ducks in a row, and wanted to know what transfer cases came behind the dodge NV4500HD?
If this will work, I plan to take everything from the back of the motor of a dodge truck with a NV4500HD and put it behind my 4bt?
Also, what year trucks did the NV4500HD come in?
Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, Maybe i should simplify. Im wanting to run a nv4500 behind the 4bt. Ive found that the cheapest way will be to find a dodge truck with the 6bt/nv4500 and take the adapter plate and clutch assembly from it and it will bolt to the 4bt, correct? But my truck is a 4wheel drive, so i was wondering what tcase came behind the nv4500. Besides the 6bt, what other motor would have the same adapter plate and clutch assembly that would bolt straight up to the 4bt?
With all the information around this site, Ive found it hard to understand what exactly i need and what will work and what needs certain adapters and such. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Im headed to a few junk yards this weekend and need to know what im looking for.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Well, Maybe i should simplify. Im wanting to run a nv4500 behind the 4bt. Ive found that the cheapest way will be to find a dodge truck with the 6bt/nv4500 and take the adapter plate and clutch assembly from it and it will bolt to the 4bt, correct? But my truck is a 4wheel drive, so i was wondering what tcase came behind the nv4500. Besides the 6bt, what other motor would have the same adapter plate and clutch assembly that would bolt straight up to the 4bt?
With all the information around this site, Ive found it hard to understand what exactly i need and what will work and what needs certain adapters and such. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Im headed to a few junk yards this weekend and need to know what im looking for.
The Dodge NV4500 came with a drives side drop NP241HD transfer case starting in 1994.
The Dodge Getrag G360, the predecessor to the NV4500 came with the NP205 passenger side drop from 89-93.

Both transmissions share the same mounting pattern to both transfer cases.
Both have a 29 spline output shaft. The 89-93 Dodge Cummins NP205 bolts directly to the NV4500 used in a 94 Dodge Cummins.

You will first need to determine if you are going with a passenger side drop or drivers side drop.

To use the NV4500 incorporating wrecking yard parts you will require 1994 up Dodge Cummins parts to include:
Starter, flywheel, engine adapter (aka flywheel housing), clutch disk & pressure plate, pilot bearing/bushing, clutch release fork & bearing, transmission with shifter, hydraulic clutch slave & master cylinder.
It's generally far cheaper to buy these parts as a set than going to EPay and buying them individually.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot BobS.
Thats exaclty what i needed to know!
Mine will be passenger side drop.But just to be clear..
A 94 and up NV4500 will work with a 89-93 np205? All of this being dodge ofcoarse.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Thanks alot BobS.
Thats exaclty what i needed to know!
Mine will be passenger side drop.But just to be clear..
A 94 and up NV4500 will work with a 89-93 np205? All of this being dodge ofcoarse.
That's exactly what combination I'm running in my 91 Dodge, NV4500 & NP205....see my signature below?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Make sure you use a 29 Spline NP205

If you use an NP205 from behind an automatic you will have a 23 spline case. Good luck finding a 29 spline NP205, they are hard to find and spendy!

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you use an NP205 from behind an automatic you will have a 23 spline case. Good luck finding a 29 spline NP205, they are hard to find and spendy!
So 89-93 std. tranny g360 used a 29 spline
205 t-cace, and a 89-93 auto tranny used a 23 spline 205 t-case. All being dodge with passenger drop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also would like this setup in my k5 with a 5.9 ctd. The k5 is an auto now. So how much would a setup like this cost for everything. I assume everything would be dodge except the pedal assembly, thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Theres a difference in the coupler O.D that the seal in the rear of the 4500 rides on. You have to have the 29 spline coupler turned down to match or leave it out and run the same fluid in the trans and 205. I have heard it works but I have never done it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have a nv4500 that has a 32 spline output and a gm np 205 with a 32 spline input passenger side drop from gear tech hd it also has 32 spline front and rear outputs wasnt that expensive ether and the advanced adaptor bellhousing to a sbc and just used the gm cummins adaptor plate i think it was under 3k

·
Banned
227 Posts
So. I need to get this stuff for my samurai project. would it be dumb to buy all the parts new? I dont want to do it again. once it is in the samurai it needs to stay in.
I found a new trans for 1500.
New bell housing for 200.
I was told that the guy can get me a housing that will mate to my chevy housing.
He can get me a new TCase to. but idk how much that going to run,
How hard is it to find the slave cylender and master and all the little peaces?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess I bought the wrong 23 spline Dodge NP205. Does anyone know of a writeup on converting to 29 spline input shaft? I suspect the cases are different forcing me to have some machine work done to it?

Is it cost effective to buy a new 29 spline input shaft from Dodge for a manual Tcase equipped truck, buy the bearing and race kit, and have a machine shop convert it, or just keep looking for a 29 spline NP205?

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
Is it cost effective to buy a new 29 spline input shaft from Dodge for a manual Tcase equipped truck, buy the bearing and race kit, and have a machine shop convert it, or just keep looking for a 29 spline NP205?
At around $500 for a new shaft + miscellaneous parts + machine work most will not go this route.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So. I need to get this stuff for my samurai project. would it be dumb to buy all the parts new? I dont want to do it again. once it is in the samurai it needs to stay in.
I found a new trans for 1500.
New bell housing for 200.
I was told that the guy can get me a housing that will mate to my chevy housing.
He can get me a new TCase to. but idk how much that going to run,
How hard is it to find the slave cylender and master and all the little peaces?
i used an advanced adaptor bellhousing that came from a sbc to nv4500 and it worked for me with the gm cummins plate. i bought mine new i gess if its used and you rebuild it its just as good. if you do it right and you will always have it it should all last forever im useing a gm clutch and folk and an advanced adaptor slave cilender with a custom bracket and my factory jeep pedal and stuff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts