Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am being charged 300 bucks for a used Dodge starter . I am running the Dodge NV4500. Has any one else come across a starter that will work besides the one from Dodge ? Perhaps machined up a Ford one or add ears to it or something ?
This truck is getting way too expensive real fast.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Need to figure out what year Dodge starter you have first, butr I have seen as cheap as $120 remans.. Autozone, cheap parts places actually work decent for these parts IMO.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Most of the non dodge starters have a different bolt mounting ,they can be swaped around to be made to fit.There some difference inside as well but they will still work.

For the $300 that's got to be for the gear reduction one right?

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
808 Posts
I am being charged 300 bucks for a used Dodge starter . I am running the Dodge NV4500. Has any one else come across a starter that will work besides the one from Dodge ? Perhaps machined up a Ford one or add ears to it or something ?
This truck is getting way too expensive real fast.
I paid less than 300 for a brand new NAPA Gear Reduction Starter for a Cummins 6B series. If I remember correctly it was $290. Bolts right up on the 4B.

Paul

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paul

I phoned 6 wreckers today and every one of them quoted me 295 . My jobber wanted 295 plus a core.
A buddy found one for 175 and he will toss it on a plane for me,
Yep it is the gear reduction model . Now I need to find some motor mounts. I hear the dodge 6bt one bolt right up to the 4bt block. I hope something does.

Bruce

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
I phoned 6 wreckers today and every one of them quoted me 295 . My jobber wanted 295 plus a core.

Bruce
That's because the current jobber price for a new one is about $221 + 30% mark up to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A buddy found one for 175 and he will toss it on a plane for me,
Yep it is the gear reduction model . Now I need to find some motor mounts. I hear the dodge 6bt one bolt right up to the 4bt block. I hope something does.

Bruce

My local yard will negotiate price if I tell them what the typical price is off of car-parts.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey WC53,

Are you actually needing a new starter? :idea: My experience has shown that 90% of the time it's only the contacts worn or burned. And usually only one of them, there are 2.

Check out Larry B's solution at www.fostertruck.com/dodge which only costs @$35 and comes with good instructions. Could save a bundle. I did more than once.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed the trannie to a dodge NV4500

The motor came with a ford trans and adapter plate. I was trying to avoid paying 300 bucks for a used one up hear in Canada .
Got a dodge starter now .

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like you have one, but dieseljake is right. NAPA usually has everything to rebuild it and it's much cheaper and better than getting a new one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A used one from the wreckers

wreckers - 295 used
napa - 295 plus a core
new - not worth asking but over 600 bucks.
I scooped a used one for 175 and will rebuild it when needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts