Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that when the Dodge/Cummins contract is up in 2011 that Dodge is going to sign on with Cat and start using Cat engines in there trucks. I have also head the Ford's contract with Navistar is up in 2011 as well and that they are signing with Cummins.
Is this true?
I honestly doubt it, but, IMO if it were to happen, I think it would be a change for the better for Ford because, Ford has the best selling pickup, and lets face it, 90% of people who drive diesel trucks love the Cummins. Just look at how popular it is to swap one into another vehicle. Now, Dodge on the other hand, I can't say much about them as I have never ridden in or driven anything with a Cat.

So, is it true? If so, what is your take on this whole ordeal? :hillbilly:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Smells like BS to me. They said the same thing about CAT & chevy when the duramax was being designed. CAT Doesn't want the non-HD market from what I've read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Ford had to find another supplier for engines after they sued Navistar over warranty repairs on the 6.0 and prior to that canceled a contract for a smaller V6 diesel to put in F150s. :rolleyes:

Dodge would be foolish to drop Cummins as their engine supplier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ford is designing their own diesel in-house. The Cummins will also be offered as an additional option in their trucks. My cousin went to the Ford plant in Detroit, before starting work there.

Unfortunately, cameras are NOT allowed on the property!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Didnt Ford offer the CAT motor as an option back in 2003? Thats what one of the sales men told me when we bought our 2004.. IDK

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cat and Cummins are options in Ford's bigger trucks. (ie. 650's and up) My dad woks... well worked (hes layed off right now) at ICC/Navistar (Indianapolis Casting Corporation, They pour the blocks for Ford) and he hears all kinds of rumors. When he told me this, I actually believed this one.

IMO if anything like this is going to happen, I think Dodge should keep Cummins and that Ford should sign on with Cat and put an inline in their trucks.

Last year I heard that when Ford first signed with Navistar that they were originally going to sign with Cat, but they didn't because Cat wouldn't let them paint the engine any color other than Cat yellow and Ford wanted them black. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
by 2011 there will be so much "green" electronics on the Cummins that whos gonna want one anyway! :puke: ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would like to see Ford build a 6-cylinder inline diesel the physical size of a 4.9L and install it in 1/2-tons on up! F350JOHN, could you pass that on for me?

·
Registered
269 Posts
ford worked w/ cat on the 1/2 ton engine, they parted ways w/o any agreement on an engine but ford then went to another company that i cant remember right now, it was all laid out in one of the diesel mags when i find it i will post the name that ford went w/. I too heard about ths color dispute w/ ford and cat if that is true what a shame, a kitty in a ford would be the answer to all the navistar flaws. but like you said w/ all the computer controls and emmision control they will all be junk.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It seems to me that any steps toward larger American consumption of diesels is a step in the right direction.

When they started putting emmisions crap on the gas engine, we went through many years of crappy motors. Now, the modern gas engines are quite a marvel compared to their predecessors in economy, power per displacement, etc. We might go through a few years of crappy diesels coming stock in our vehicles, but I would suspect it won't take long before they are also marvels of modern engineering.

At least bowtie is making a 4.3L duramax for us. Its a definite step in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
According to Chrysler LLC they have very strong plans for Cummins engines for the next very many years. Latest announcements and insider info is diesel, diesel, diesel for Chrysler LLC. Just another goofball rumor on the Cat engine and end of Cummins use.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ford is dedicated to the V8 style for their diesels. I Seriously doubt Ford would make an inline diesel engine. (Though they should.) Inline engines are considered too "old world" by many auto makers. Look at the unnecessarily complex 6.4L Power Stroke. (An interesting fact is that Ford recommends "cab lifting" when performing engine work, because its too tightly compacted into the engine compartment to lift out.)

·
Registered
278 Posts
That would explain why Ford is #3 is the Diesel Power race! They're doing so well that loyal Fordnatics are changing their ways!

·
Registered
23 Posts
That would explain why Ford is #3 is the Diesel Power race! They're doing so well that loyal Fordnatics are changing their ways!
I'd be all over Ford TD trucks if they had an I6 cat for the HD's and I4's in the 4.0L range for 1/2 tons. bounce

As it stands, I'd rather have a Dodge simply for the Cummins TD.

Just think if Dodge put a 4cyl CTD in a 1/2 ton truck! TQ to pull with and better MPG's! :eek: :beer:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dodge/Cummins

The facts are this, Cummins has a long term agreement with Chrysler and I would expect to see that stay that way, especailly with the next step in Diesels along with Chrylser that is developed and will hit the market in 2009 SUV and 1/2 ton type trucks, currently Cummins supplies over 140.000 engine a year and has a designate plant just for them.
When you talk Cat you are really talking Perkins as Cat doesn't build anything that small, keep in mind Cat does own Perkins......as for the others, well you have to be able to market and manufacture alot of engines to meet the EPA requirements.and the costs involved....and as for all the junk/green, adders, you can thank the new levels of Emissions for that, and the fact that the manufacters have to follow EPA suggestions...If anyone would like some specifics, I'd be glad to share. Steve

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hearsay?

Chrysler-Daimler- doesn't Daimler make mercedes and aren't they still running half of Chrysler and why wouldn't they put a big mercedes diesel in the Dodge?
I thought the Ford parent company owned Cummins but Cummins was locked up in contracts with Dodge till 2018... Don't know where I hear this stuff but like I said "Hearsay"..
Reguardless it looks bad for a company to say anything about an engine that is on its way out when they have several years of a contract left and need to sell a lot of trucks in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cummins is the only privatly held engine company left, it was expplained to me that they are not owned by anyone then themselves, Ford tried to make a move on them but failed? Sounds kinda like another story I have heard of that ended w/ the GT 40. Anyhow Chrysler is no longer a part of Daimler, They "Daimler" flew the coupe, that is why it is now Chrysler LLC. I do not believe we will ever see the cummins in Superdutys, unless we put em there. I like the Cummins engine but I will never buy a Dodge. The stroke may be third in the power race and the 6.4 may be to complex but I believe we have to thank Ford and Navistar for a lot of the new Diesel Technologies, afterall didn't they have the first VG Turbo? The first twin turbo setup? there are other first as well Im sure. Some of there Ideas may not have worked out as they wished but they are thinking out of the box. Pushing the Diesel world into new territory and new technologies, and for that I applaud FOMOCO. As for Dodge they owe all there success to a great engine and a superior engine company, they lucked out. Last but not least the Duramax is also a marvel, anyone who has gone to a Diesel truck pull will attest, the duramax is kickin but, If GM would of built a truck to put it in there would be a lot more of them in the world today, straight axles rule! I am done ranting, sorry.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is interesting stuff... Cummins announced it is building a new light duty engine plant a while back for smaller SUVS..for 2011..and it has a plant fully dedicated to building the current Dodge engine... time will tell... More diesels are planned for the US market...it will be interesting see where they all end up...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts