Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What transfer case came behind the NV4500 in the Cummins Dodge Trucks?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooops. I know, I know use the search punk.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Basically I was curious as to the difficulties of mating a ford np 205 to a Dodge NV4500. Allowing me to use a ford High pinion D60. Basically I'm brainstorming, checking my options, and driving myself crazy with ideas.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It would be far simpler to use the 241DHD. It's driver drop, just like the Ford HP60.

You can put a 29 spline input in a Ford 205 and redrill the Ford case for the dodge adapter or you can use the super easy method and buy the 29 to 31 spud shaft and spacer plate from AA for cheaper than just the 29 spline input and be done with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shameless plug, I have a 29 spline 241DHD in the classifieds.

205- unless you find the rare 205 behind the 88-93 dodge cummens with getrag 5-speed, plus the round adapter, it is tough. You can get the other machined to fit a 29 spline input, but the parts cost like 500 bucks. Then you still need to find the adapter.

Can buy atlas or stak t-case with 29 sline input, but again, big bucks.

Supposedly dodges had two NP241s behind the NV4500. Both 29 spline. One a 241DHD and the other a 241DLD. There are many different lenght input shafts, two diameter main shafts, two different gear pitches on input shaft, ets. I am trying to adapt a 29 spline input from a NP241DLD to a earlier model pasenger side drop 23 spline NP241D. Will post back with progress. Good luck

Blake

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
205- unless you find the rare 205 behind the 88-93 dodge cummens with getrag 5-speed, plus the round adapter, it is tough. You can get the other machined to fit a 29 spline input, but the parts cost like 500 bucks. Then you still need to find the adapter.
Blake
If someone is selling a Getrag/NP205 transfer case "by the piece" tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. It is not a complete Cummins/Getrag/205 transfer case unless it includes the 29 spline input shaft and round mounting housing.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If someone is selling a Getrag/NP205 transfer case "by the piece" tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. It is not a complete Cummins/Getrag/205 transfer case unless it includes the 29 spline input shaft and round mounting housing.
nope, and those inputs aren't cheap. I know for an np241, the 29 spline input and a new bearing is 250, ouch.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is no machining involved putting the 29 spline input in a Ford case. The only machining is to redrill the case for the figure 8 dodge/GM pattern. But as mentioned, the dodge input is outrageous and also I've always thought the dodge iron adapter just plain looks stupid, adds several unneeded inches and hangs extra weight off your tranny.

If you get the AA parts you don't need to do anything to the t-case. The spud shaft goes between the tranny/t-case and the dodge 6 bolt t-case pattern is the same as Ford so all you need is a spacer to compensate for the length of the spud.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't have it in my hand yet, but I am looking a significantly less price for the 29 spline input. I am not sure what the bearing costs, but it can't be more than $25?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I don't have it in my hand yet, but I am looking a significantly less price for the 29 spline input. I am not sure what the bearing costs, but it can't be more than $25?
do you have any more info on where you are getting it? I had trouble finding one even for sale online.

we are talking new here right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have two sources working on it right now. Only recived a price from one. The problem that stalled me... There is a imput shaft that matches the dimensions of the 23 spline exactly, except, the cup where the cylindrical roller bearing seats. The 23 spline has a bearing to support a 1.124 inch shaft and the 29 spline is bigger to accomodate the larger HD shaft. Certainly there is a bearing out there to use as a "crossover" but just haven't got that far yet. I am hesitant to give out their contact info, until I get mine on the way. I don't want them to give up on their research when a bunch of other calls come in for the same part. I will let you know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For the 241 info, there are at least 3 versions with driver's drop: NP241/23 spline; NP241HD/23 spline; and NP241HD/29 spline. I have heard from some that there is no such thing as a 23 spline NP241HD, but YES, there is: used on auto trans equipped Dodge Cummins trucks in the mid/late 90's. I know because my '96 Cummins Ram has a 23 spline NP241HD (Yes, it does have the PTO port). These are all driver's drop and would work great with a Ford front axle.

Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lots of info, helped out alot. One more question, what is the strength of the 241 dhd versus the np 205?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Its kind of tough to compare the two directly, because they are completely different designs. The 241hd is chain driven, making it very street-friendly. The 205 is gear driven. Although the 241 has an aluminum case, it can handle some serious power levels. There are quite a few pullers putting serious power out of their 5.9 Cummins using the 241. For off road abuse, the 205 has an advantage with the cast iron case, which will take many more rock hits. The 205 is well known as a beefy case.

I have a 241HD in my Dodge, but I'm going to be using a divorced Ford 205 when I swap in my Spicer transmission to replace my tired auto. I'm not doing it because of strength, its just that the divorced 205 will be easier to work with the Spicer transmission. I don't think I'm gaining or losing anything in the process.

Jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts