Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read a few places online where having a liquid propane gas kit on a cummins 12 valve will help increase mileage by 2 or more mpg. I've also read on here that running LPG can give increase power output by a little bit. But I've heard that running LPG can decrease power output by about 10%. Are there any others benefits to running propane? And who makes a propane kit for a cummins 12v? Is there a real cost effectiveness to this since youll run both diesel and LPG at the same time?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
So I've read a few places online where having a liquid propane gas kit on a cummins 12 valve will help increase mileage by 2 or more mpg. I've also read on here that running LPG can give increase power output by a little bit. But I've heard that running LPG can decrease power output by about 10%. Are there any others benefits to running propane? And who makes a propane kit for a cummins 12v? Is there a real cost effectiveness to this since youll run both diesel and LPG at the same time?
Where did you read propane injection reduces power??? It definitely increases power. Not sure on the effectiveness of long term running is, but to make any difference in MPG, you need to get propane at under 2/3 cost of diesel. You can get a kit off ebay for $400 but you have to source a tank and pipe locally. Superchips/MSD did a digital propane kit a few years back, but it really didn't take off for some reason and it was dropped altogether.

I think unless your doing some serious highway mileage, I don't think you will gain anything. You would be better looking into using alternative fuels like veg oil or waste motor oil etc that wouldn't take a huge amount of money to get setup and using.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
the propane enhances the combustion of the diesel fuel, so there's a smaller amount of soot since the combustion process is more complete... then, more power is generated for each gallon of diesel fuel...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts