Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All--

First post. I'm going to get rid of the 4.2L Rover gas engine in my 1995 Range Rover Classic and put a Isuzu diesel in it. M & D Engineering (UK) makes a conversion kit for the 4JBx and 4JGx need to mate with the ZF4HP22 tranny. However, the M & D conversion kits require a 'modified' flywheel which I'm sure I can do... but not if the engine comes with a flexplate.

I'm not an expert on diesels nor Isuzu, but it seems like it is likely to have a flywheel so it's interia can help smooth out the pulses from the Deisel. That said, I don't know... and hopefully others on the forum can share the answer. :)

Thanks,
Ron

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
I think I saw a cast flywheel with a flexplate bolted to the back of it. It's quite chunky for a flywheel that size.
It was almost two years ago so I can't be that certain.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
All the 4H series Isuzus that are fitted with an automatic transmission have a very light (by diesel standards) flywheel sandwiched between the flex plate and the crank. These flywheels do not have a machined surface for a clutch.

·
Super Moderator
8,853 Posts
And like the 4H's ASTR mentioned, the 4JG2 automatic flywheel won't take a clutch either. It's auto or manual specific.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts