1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Page 94, full view pre-cleaner.

Warning, PDF is 30mb
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/061238.pdf

There are two 3" models, one supplies 170 CFM, the HD one is 320, but bigger in size, since this is a cowl intake the smaller would fit better between the windshield and hood. Next I have to find a filter box to squeeze under teh hood, Donaldson has many, just have to find one that will work.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Find a 2nd Generation Dodge diesel air box or similar, then you have off the shelf possibilities for filters etc and known CFM characteristics. The first filter you have there is way to little CFM, the second not too far behind.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
You'll be better off with a filter that can be cleaned , spend $65.00 once and just clean it . The paper filters are fine but @ $30.00 plus for a filter that needs replaced 20,000 .

Scott

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, any idea what kind of CFM numbers a 4BT needs?

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
Donaldson rate their filters quite conservatively. They don't rate "max flow", they rate flow at a certain pressure drop (it's in their literature).

So while the numbers may seem low, the comparison is skewed.
An intercooled 4BT running 20psi at 2500rpm and 80% VE sucks 276 cfm.

Do not use a cone or pod filter, your engine won't appreciate the poor filtration.

Page 94 shows "precleaners", these aren't filters, they are dust traps to get the worst out of your intake before it gets to the filter.
The FPG filters page 51 onwards are what you need. The airflow capacities at different pressures are on page 54.

BTW, that PDF is 30mb, pays to warn people before they click.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks about the warning of a ~30meg file. But wasn't a problem when you have a high speed connection. Go it downloaded in 26 sec. :D according to the computer..
Great catalog with lots of information.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Donaldson rate their filters quite conservatively. They don't rate "max flow", they rate flow at a certain pressure drop (it's in their literature).

So while the numbers may seem low, the comparison is skewed.
An intercooled 4BT running 20psi at 2500rpm and 80% VE sucks 276 cfm.

Page 94 shows "precleaners", these aren't filters, they are dust traps to get the worst out of your intake before it gets to the filter.
The FPG filters page 51 onwards are what you need. The airflow capacities at different pressures are on page 54.

BTW, that PDF is 30mb, pays to warn people before they click.
Warning posted.

Yes, I intend to use the pre-cleaner as a cowl intake to keep rain out, under that will have to be some sort of real paper filter, will look at the Donaldson catalog now for something around 300 CFM.

Thank for the reply.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If in the future if you plan on turning the power up and putting in a 3200 spring kit you will use more air so I would look for a filter of 400cfm or better. 30psi at 3200 rpm will need a bit more air, if you plan on leaving it stock then you will be good to go.

Gaza

·
Isuzu reliability tester
3,001 Posts
I agree, depending on your future plans and space availability, I would look for the highest flowing filter you can get, its one of the rreasons I chose the 06 duramax filter setup using a donaldson filter, it has high flow and excellent filtration.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If in the future if you plan on turning the power up and putting in a 3200 spring kit you will use more air so I would look for a filter of 400cfm or better. 30psi at 3200 rpm will need a bit more air, if you plan on leaving it stock then you will be good to go.

Gaza
I already did both. bounce

This would work well if it has enough CFM. :puzzled:
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
CFM = CID x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency
3456​

Four Cycle Diesel Engine Volumetric Efficiency -

.85 Diesel naturally aspirated
1.60 Diesel turbocharged
1.85 Diesel turbocharged aftercooled

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
CFM = CID x RPM x Volumetric Efficiency
3456​

Four Cycle Diesel Engine Volumetric Efficiency -

.85 Diesel naturally aspirated
1.60 Diesel turbocharged
1.85 Diesel turbocharged aftercooled
Those turbocharged figures appear to be based on approx 15psi boost. Not a bad starting point if you are using that much boost, but if you use more or less you need to modify the figures to suit.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Look for an air cleaner system off of a 6.0L or 6.4L Ford pickup.

The PowerCore filters flow better than any paper or cheap aftermarket cone filter, it holds far more dirt than a "cleanable" cone filter before becoming restrictive (less maintenance) and it passes far less dirt into the engine than a "cleanable" cone filter.

The filter for the 6.0L powerstroke has an airflow rating over 700cfm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a FJ60 with a 4BTA . I found this company called advanced air cleaner systems they build high cfm air cleaners for offroad racing.I had to modify mine to fit because of space limitations but it works well My 4bt has some mods , I have a p1700 that came stock.I put in a fuel plate , advanced fuel delivery , 4000 rpm spring , 370 hp injectors from 6bta , and hd valve springs. I hit 35 # boost with the stock turbo

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a FJ60 with a 4BTA . I found this company called advanced air cleaner systems they build high cfm air cleaners for offroad racing.I had to modify mine to fit because of space limitations but it works well My 4bt has some mods , I have a p1700 that came stock.I put in a fuel plate , advanced fuel delivery , 4000 rpm spring , 370 hp injectors from 6bta , and hd valve springs. I hit 35 # boost with the stock turbo

got a pic of what they built for ya? cost?

·
Registered
800 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.