Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just a few more questions. Now i've searched and I'm thinking of putting an auto in my truck as its easier to drive (I'm on lazy person, and I drive a manual truck now) and would be better off road. I can't find out what auto transmission is the best to use. I see a lot about the NV4500. Now I wanted to put a NP231 or NP203 tranfercase under the truck so I can get have a solid transfer case. As for wiring and such, how hard? Also I have 4.10's with 31's now. I'd like to put a 3" BL on and put 33's under the truck. If not I'd go with a 4" suspension lift with a 3" BL and put 35's on it if the gearing is to much for the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually already read that one. Helped but it didn't help me fully. I'm new to diesel and everything, but I want to get started with it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If you are planning on off roading with the truck, the NP203 is not the best choice. NP205 would be better. You can use a chevy TH400 if you dont need OD for cruising. It will hurt mileage and limit top speed. If you want OD the 4L80E will mount up with some work, but it will cost you alot more. In the end, it would be the better choice.

You could also go with a first gen dodge auto and NP205, but you will not have OD there either. The later dodges are driver side drop as well as the later chevys. I am sure with some research you could find a way to marry just about any tranny to any transfer case, but if you go to far outside the norm it will get costly and more complicated.

Wiring is easy; 1(or 3 with P7100) wires for the main fuel, one for alt., one for temp, one for oil pres., couple for heaters if you run them, and a few relays. It is not difficult. If you can wire a gasser with a carb, you can wire one of these. I had to take out more wiring from my 6.5T chevy than I had to keep to run the cummins.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts