Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Donor vehicle in-Tranny questions, among others...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  averagef250 
#1 ·
Ok, I just got the victim in- a 1986 Ford Bread truck (approx 15' from door to seat). The motor has a tick over 300k on it, but runs very well and starts right up. It blows black smoke at WOT. No biggie. I did notice a leaking injector (rear-most one, very slight, but will be fixed), and some questionable blue rtv by the fuel injection pump. The motor was filthy, but a quick stop at the carwash helped alot.

I plan to do a compression test (anyone know the specs?), and go from there. At the least I want to put new gaskets, and bearings in it. Rebuilt injectors are also on the list, as well as a Holset HX-35 from a 6bt...muahahahahaha

So far, on the initial inspection, it appears that the 4bt is approx. 6-8" too tall for my '48 CJ-2A. Height and width are close but seem to be OK. I plan to re-duct the intake tube and reposition the vaccuum pump, as well as add a body and suspension lift. Another problem may arise in the oil pan. It is very large (and deep) I will have to see if the suspension lift will aleviate that.

The tranny is a t-19. 2wd. By chance does anyone know if it can be converted to 4x4? Or what other trannies are compatable? :confused: It is a Ford model.

Well, this project is still in the 'imagineering' stages. Any help will be appreciated! Under main forums, I laid out some basics of this idea--Thanks in advance for the input!

See less See more
#3 ·
Dana 18 behind a 4BT. That's funny!

As short as your Jeep is you're probably limited to a T-19/D20 which is also the easiest way to keep your passenger front diffy offset. A Ford/Mazda M5R2 5 speed would be a real slick setup in a light 4BT Jeep, but all the 5 speed options are a lot longer than a T-19.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.