Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the latest Dove Bid in the SLC area I'm wondering what criteria are guys using when bidding?

If I pay 4 grand for a van to scrap out I figure the engine is worth what? 2 grand? The tranny and adapter set worth 500 bucks? The rear end and wheels maybe 300 bucks? The aluminum maybe another 900 bucks?

Plus tons of free labor to do it all.

Plug in your own numbers, mine must be all messed up cause I don't see it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Seems like way too much for me. There is a nice looking complete 4bt setup on ebay right now with "buy it now" of $2700 but shipping would cost $850.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Yeah sort of a bummer, I don't think they are worth what they are going for. Man either we or something really drove up the prices.. I feel luck now to have gotten mine for $2G. Nevermind the flight and drive back from Denver...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay more than 2k for one.

I paid $1275 after fees etc for my dovebid van last November, running and driving 2 hrs away (Well, 3 hours at Chevy P30 cruise speed) I kept the Engine, Traded the adaptor kit for some Dodge parts I needed, kept the hydroboost for the brakes, and kept whatever else I though I might need. Sold the 14bolt rear, sold off the rest for scrap. Moneywise, I broke even (i.e. Got the engine, etc for free). Once you factor in time, It's not as good. I probbaly spent 40-60 hours scrapping and hauling the van in pieces, selling parts, etc.

That said, if I came across another one close by for that kind of cash, I'd probabbly buy it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts