Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
hard to say, some go for ~1k and some here in Texas exceed 3k. It all depends on location and market saturation. I would set aside 2500 just for funnies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anything around the midwest seems to get stupid. I was watching one in Nebraska last go round, went for like $2200 with a bad transmission.:eek:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I will say take your time and do some research ,you never know what the add will say ,some just repost from other adds .If you find one you like go look at it .

Or buy a Van from somone you can trust or engine.

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anything around the midwest seems to get stupid. I was watching one in Nebraska last go round, went for like $2200 with a bad transmission.:eek:
That happens when corn hits $3.60 and beans hit $9.50!!!

I think that one had a very low 36k motor maybe. They get more expensive each time!

I only bought 3, showing some self control.......?;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dec 2007 Dovebid prices ?

What did the 15 foot one in Washington go for ?
Any others of interest ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
4bt breadvans

keep an eye on ebay as well,I bought my breadvan there $1200.,it has a new engine,auto trans,and rad,great mileage,power and torque,felt like a N14 in the mountains,didn't miss a beat on the 2500 mile trip home.

·
Registered
89 Posts
tried to grab a few here in Texas yesterday but all of my lots were outbid by 50 bucks. Which means that If I had been at my computer it wouldve more than likely been between me and only one other person. (and I would be 4 more 4bt richer:( )

·
Registered
258 Posts
Some tips for online auctions in general (and Dovebid specifically). It has been mentioned in other threads, but there are usually contact phone numbers in the listing. Call and ask for someone in vehicle maintenance, and as questions about the vans. They usually know more than anyone else.

Prices: I have been watching for a while, and the prices are all over the place. The even I bought my van from had several trucks all over the east coast, and all went for almost the same money, within $300 or $400 of each other, between $1500-$1800 or so. That was for vans ready to drive home in good condition, as well as with bad engines, frames, suspensions, etc. Don't pick just 1 van...choose several within your traveling distance. I passed up 3 that were closer to me in questionable condition, and went an extra 100 miles to pay the same money for one I could have easily driven home. Now I'm kicking myself- I drove to N.J. to get mine, but the last event had one right in my state (N.H.) which had a good engine and trans, and it only sold for around $900!! Oh well.

Bidding: Don't bid early! The last 5 minutes of the auction is the only important time. By bidding early you just let other bidders know you are interested. It also gives them a chance to outbid you, as well as a chance to think about their max. bid. You also can't judge the selling price at all. Just because the auction runs 3 days (just an example), and there are no bids 4 hours before the end of the auction, doesn't mean it will go cheap. It just takes 2 people who really want it to drive the price up thousands in a 2 minute period.

Jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
I registered with Dovebid and tried bidding on one here locally and as soon as I went to bid it showed a screen that asked a bunch of questions about what my business name was and how many employees I had. Wondered if it was only businesses that they dealt with. Haven't messed around with it since.
Any suggestions on what I was doing wrong or how to complete the bidding process with them is greatly appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
441 Posts
I registered with Dovebid and tried bidding on one here locally and as soon as I went to bid it showed a screen that asked a bunch of questions about what my business name was and how many employees I had. Wondered if it was only businesses that they dealt with. Haven't messed around with it since.
Any suggestions on what I was doing wrong or how to complete the bidding process with them is greatly appreciated.

Al
You were heading the right direction, they assume you are a business.. It is a marketing survey. Make sure your firewall and security software is turned off or it gives ya' fits..

·
Registered
7 Posts
DoveHustle

Fellas,
Please wait until the auction is about to end before you bid next time. I watched the price on lot #'s 2009 and 4004 go from $700.00 down to $525.00 and back up to $1800.00 and $1825.00 at the end. I have a theory that we bidders are being hustled by Dovebid or Frito Lay. I want you to think about this, the prices started at $700.00 and there were no bids so (insert explanative here) decided to drop the price to $525.00, so that someone would make a bid, and of course somebody took the bait and bid. Do you know what happened next? Yes you guessed it, another user (Dovebid) immediately bid against them until they outbid them, meanwhile driving up the price. Heres what makes me mad:nuke: ; the user (Dovebid) only outbid them by $10.00 and stopped! This happened over and over! Well the 1st user probably checked the auction later when he got home from working ,and of course he could not accept defeat, so he bid again, and made his maximum bid much higher, and was in the lead again after only one bid, later he was outbid by $10.00 and nothing more, and in the process the price went up considerably! The Hustle should be obvious to most by now! Each time he was outbid by $10.00 and nothing more, until the auction ended at the magic number $1800.00. This number is magic because when I inquired to the mechanic on site about the vans, he said " $1800.00 would be a good price" well what do you know the auction ended at $1800.00. So please next time wait until the very end to make your bid, that way somebody will get a good deal. Take my advice and see if Dovebid does'nt just raise the starting bid.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Fellas,
Please wait until the auction is about to end before you bid next time. I watched the price on lot #'s 2009 and 4004 go from $700.00 down to $525.00 and back up to $1800.00 and $1825.00 at the end. I have a theory that we bidders are being hustled by Dovebid or Frito Lay. I want you to think about this, the prices started at $700.00 and there were no bids so (insert explanative here) decided to drop the price to $525.00, so that someone would make a bid, and of course somebody took the bait and bid. Do you know what happened next? Yes you guessed it, another user (Dovebid) immediately bid against them until they outbid them, meanwhile driving up the price. Heres what makes me mad:nuke: ; the user (Dovebid) only outbid them by $10.00 and stopped! This happened over and over! Well the 1st user probably checked the auction later when he got home from working ,and of course he could not accept defeat, so he bid again, and made his maximum bid much higher, and was in the lead again after only one bid, later he was outbid by $10.00 and nothing more, and in the process the price went up considerably! The Hustle should be obvious to most by now! Each time he was outbid by $10.00 and nothing more, until the auction ended at the magic number $1800.00. This number is magic because when I inquired to the mechanic on site about the vans, he said " $1800.00 would be a good price" well what do you know the auction ended at $1800.00. So please next time wait until the very end to make your bid, that way somebody will get a good deal. Take my advice and see if Dovebid does'nt just raise the starting bid.

IIRC, under $2000 the minimum bid increment is $10, beyond that it kicks up to $25 or $50.

What I've noticed on the units around here (within about 500 miles of here, if not further) is that the same 2 or 3 bidder numbers will run these things to about the same $$ every time. If it's a 4BT unit non-running, you're not touching it for less than about $1000. Running, something else dead (trans, missing bits from the truck, wrecked), it's in the $1600 neighborhood. Running, driveable? $1800 plus.

I suspect that these are people buying for the purpose of disassembly / scrap / resale. The individual bidder numbers always seem to run out of autobid at the same levels, then the individual buyers start showing as top bidder. You'll rarely see these mass bidders bump anything in the last minutes.

Oh, and interesting is that you'll see the same bidder number with the same behavior across multiple auctions (Aug vs Sept vs Nov), and then others are obviously the same bidders with a different number between auction rounds. The ones with bidder numbers that DON'T change between rounds are the ones that make me wonder..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess your talking about me on #4004. The max I wanted to spend was 1800. Guess what, who ever had set their Autobid limit was higher than I wished to spend and they won the truck.

That's what happens when bidding starts, no one wins except the seller. Who ever won the truck had to spend an $600 because of me, again, their Autobid was set.

Area 51, if we landed on the Moon, JFK, Dovebid... :)

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I guess your talking about me on #4004. The max I wanted to spend was 1800. Guess what, who ever had set their Autobid limit was higher than I wished to spend and they won the truck.

That's what happens when bidding starts, no one wins except the seller. Who ever won the truck had to spend an $600 because of me, again, their Autobid was set.

Area 51, if we landed on the Moon, JFK, Dovebid... :)
I've wondered if we (folks here on the board) weren't bidding against ourselves on these things.. :eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, just BS your way through the business survey and youll be on your way. ALSO, for those of us that bid on vans from dovebid, if you see a listing that says "no reserve" dont touch it till the last minute. If you leave it alone dovebid will drop the starting price by half to attract action to the lot. Ive scored a few cheaper that way. All in all it doesnt matter, the ones that you can drive home will be high, the ones that need to be hauled (the ones I buy) will run just slightly less.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts