Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sweet. Every one of those except the FL one is within my travels. Nice. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, what kind of money do these things go for? There are two that I might try for, but would like to know the reasonable price. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prices vary due to location and condition. The ones that must be towed go for less than the drivable retired route trucks. The most amazing rule of thumb is that the cheapest one in the best condition ALMOST ALWAYS ends up the longest distance from home. I've seen drivable ones anywhere from $1000 through $2500. Always confirm what you are bidding on before you bid. Also pay by credit card in case the auction was incorrectly listed. Consider the extra 3% credit card charge as insurance. That way the credit card company will fight for you if you encounter any problems such as an incorrectly listed engine.
Otherwise you are on your own at their terms. :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
16% buyers premium

BobS, Thanks for the info. I was looking at a couple close to where I live and while researching found out that there is a 16% buyers premium for dovebid. That plus 3% for credit card fees starts to get up there. Then the great state of Washington gets an additional sales tax on top of all that.
Not being an expert on any cummins products, would anyone wager a guess on the max price for this item? http://dovebid.com/assets/display.asp?ItemID=cmt1613 I would be curious to see what you all think it might be worth.
Thanks, rod

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd guestimate somewhere from $600 to maybe $1200 since the engine runs. Figure a 1000 pounds of aluminum and a core or better engine. Just remember the best guestimates can be way off too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just for reference. I once bought a Chevy Tuned Port Injection motor that had been in a fire. Once I replaced the damaged components the engine ran perfect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
inline pump, air to air, you better grab it!

Grab that truck, take a good look at the pictures, that engine has the sought after inline pump and it also has the air to air aftercooler. The aftercooler will have to be replaced but that engine already puts out 130hp as is and the pump can put out so much more.

What's that allison transmission like. The AT542?
It is a 4 speed automatic. They put them in school buses with a 12valve 6cyl cummins in front of it. It will handle 235 HP. So it will take all the 4bt can dish out and more.
First...................................3.45:1
Second...............................2.25:1
Third..................................1.41:1
Fourth................................1.00:1
Reverse..............................5.02:1

go here for more: http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/at542.htm
Matthew

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for reference. I once bought a Chevy Tuned Port Injection motor that had been in a fire. Once I replaced the damaged components the engine ran perfect.
The tuned port did not have a bosch rotary pump hanging directly into burning flames. REMEMBER THIS if nothing else in this entire thread - You should not water wash an aluminum body diesel injection pump unless the engine is cold from setting or warpage can occur. So just imagine how much havoc a fire hose would have on a burning pump.

·
Super Moderator
8,784 Posts
It is a 4 speed automatic. They put them in school buses with a 12valve 6cyl cummins in front of it. It will handle 235 HP. So it will take all the 4bt can dish out and more.
First...................................3.45:1
Second...............................2.25:1
Third..................................1.41:1
Fourth................................1.00:1
Reverse..............................5.02:1

go here for more: http://www.industrialautomatic.com/html/at542.htm
Matthew
Thanks, google found that link for me.
Just curious if anyone is running one or if there are obvious reasons (i.e. size) why people aren't?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You should not water wash an aluminum body diesel injection pump
Is the inline pump aluminum?
Take a good look at the pictures, that is an inline pump!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just looked at the photos. Must have been one heck of a hot, big fire. Mine was not near so bad or hot. What is the melting temp of aluminum?

How did the fire get fed? I'm assuming the engine shut down right away.

·
Super Moderator
8,784 Posts
Just looked at the photos. Must have been one heck of a hot, big fire. Mine was not near so bad or hot. What is the melting temp of aluminum?

How did the fire get fed? I'm assuming the engine shut down right away.
Melting temp depends on the grade, but 700-800 deg C normally. Hence the upper limit on EGT's.

I've hot water blasted my (Isuzu) engine and pump plenty. But that's very mild compared to a fire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts