Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems that dovebids.com is the easiest route to getting a vehicle with a 4bt.
Could some of you who have successfully bought a P30 van off dovebids.com give me an idea of what I need to expect to pay? Was the process of buying a vehicle from dovebids.com easy?
I noticed some of the trucks coming up for auction say that the Engines are blown. Is there a typical area of the 4BT that fails, rods, bearings, etc??
I know blown could be a wide range of things. I would not mind buying one if it was rebuildable, but I would not want to buy one with a rod through the side of the block.
Thanks for any input that can be offered.

<< THREAD TITLE EDITED BY THE ADMINS >>
It is dovebid.com not dovebids.com, FYI... Andre

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought mine through Dovebid, paid $1150 plus the bidders premium (10% I think). I was bidding against one other bidder, and there were 4 roughly equivalent vans at this site (Charlotte, NC).

Decription was:
Runs and Drives good, has leaky transmission pan.

Closing the transaction was painless through dovebid, I paid by credit card. Once paid, you get a contact # from Dovebid to call to pick up.

I went to Frito-Lay in Charlotte with reciept in hand, drove away in the P30. Once I got it warmed up, I checked the Transmission fluid level, topped it off with some fluid I had brought with, and drove it home (~180 miles).

In the end I sold the steel and aluminum to the scrap yard for ~$1100, sold the wheels and tires for $50, sold the 14 bolt rear for $200, traded the chevy adaptor stuff for Dodge that I wanted to run, and had the engine, hydroboost, and anything else I thought might be useful left. All in all, I think it was a great deal, and I would do it again if given the chance. However, YMMV. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
the auction fees are 16% or 16% - 3% if you pay by wire transfer. they add up quick. Do not trust the autctions at face value. Contact the people selling as they are often mislisted and confused with other vehicles in the fleet. I spoke to my guy probably 3-4 times before I bid. Flew in, drove it home 10 hours without a hitch. Even then, however, turned out it had a leaky head gasket, oil and water leaking from head... No big deal but needs to be replaced..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought mine through Dovebid, paid $1150 plus the bidders premium (10% I think). I was bidding against one other bidder, and there were 4 roughly equivalent vans at this site (Charlotte, NC).

Decription was:
Runs and Drives good, has leaky transmission pan.

Closing the transaction was painless through dovebid, I paid by credit card. Once paid, you get a contact # from Dovebid to call to pick up.

I went to Frito-Lay in Charlotte with reciept in hand, drove away in the P30. Once I got it warmed up, I checked the Transmission fluid level, topped it off with some fluid I had brought with, and drove it home (~180 miles).

In the end I sold the steel and aluminum to the scrap yard for ~$1100, sold the wheels and tires for $50, sold the 14 bolt rear for $200, traded the chevy adaptor stuff for Dodge that I wanted to run, and had the engine, hydroboost, and anything else I thought might be useful left. All in all, I think it was a great deal, and I would do it again if given the chance. However, YMMV. Good luck!
Oh yeah, you got a great deal. That worked out well for you. That is what I am hoping to do. I have seen some 4bt's on ebay going from 1500-3000. But to get the engine, hydroboost, and all. Then scape the truck, that is a sweet deal.

Do you need, or do they give you, a temp tag to drive the vehicle away?

Thanks to everyone that is posting, this great info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just drove it home with no tag and my Fiance following behind in my truck. Probbably illegal, but I'd bet that with a bill of sale with that days date on it, you would be OK most places.

Definitely Buyer Beware, but it can work out very well.

Tim

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same experience. I talked to the fleet manager from that area before buying. No way to avoid the 16% auction fee so add that to the max you are willing to pay. $1100 is a pretty typical scrap value for the aluminum. Drove mine home aroung 250 miles with no temp tag. They just left the license plate on for me. I came with a truck and tow bar just in case but the thing chugged along at 57 miles per hour the whole way. If you do drive it a decent distance bring ear plugs or some earbuds to listen to music. Funniest part was I had to pass through an imigration check point on the highway. I figured they thought I had either a truckload of drugs or imigrants. When I told them I bought the thing for the engine they must of thought I was crazy and of no interest to them. Fun trip none the less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I've been tossing around the idea of buying one and when I pitched it to my wife it wasn't pretty....I've got to get the tile in the bathroom before I can even think about a stinkin bread truck.

The closest trucks are about 10 hours away from me according to mapquest. I know it depends on how well it runs but have any of you guys driven one that far? I also think I'm going to pay someone in the area to look at the truck for me before I buy it.

-Wes

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I've been tossing around the idea of buying one and when I pitched it to my wife it wasn't pretty....I've got to get the tile in the bathroom before I can even think about a stinkin bread truck.

-Wes
I hear ya bro! Mine told me that there needs to be some house progress first. Gotta paint the outside, get the carpets outta the kitchen and baths (here when we got it a year ago), and some other little things. Not to mention that my garage and work area are a mess, due to a lack of a shed to store junk in. But she doesn't buy into the "but honey, the truck can be one big mobile storage shed" idea. :( ;) :)

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
I hear ya bro! Mine told me that there needs to be some house progress first. Gotta paint the outside, get the carpets outta the kitchen and baths (here when we got it a year ago), and some other little things. Not to mention that my garage and work area are a mess, due to a lack of a shed to store junk in. But she doesn't buy into the "but honey, the truck can be one big mobile storage shed" idea. :( ;) :)
You've gotta convince the wife to help you renovate the garage before you bring the van home.
Having a clean, bright and warm work area does wonders for motivation.:grinpimp:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I came with a truck and tow bar just in case but the thing chugged along at 57 miles per hour the whole way. If you do drive it a decent distance bring ear plugs or some earbuds to listen to music.
Why is that? I'm still trying to get one for my fj40. Are you suggesting that is not worth having in a long distance vehicle? or because the vans themselves are poorly sound proofed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought mine about 9 months ago for $3000 (it only has 140K miles on it but has front end damage). I drove it 70 miles, parked it, and used it for storage. Storage would've cost me about $765.

Then, 2 weeks ago, we loaded it up with everything we own to move 1000 miles down to CA. I welded up a hitch and towed a full size van on a 26' trailer! The moving van would have probably cost $1000.

Now we are using it for storage in southern CA for 4 more months. Chaulk up another $400 in storage savings.

As soon as we move into our house, I will scrap the aluminum for approximately $1250. I can sell the wheels and tires (in great shape) for about $700; add another $200 for the rear end.

So, when it's all said and done, we are saving $915, plus 'we' get a Cummins motor to swap into 'our' van! bounce

That's how you talk the wifey into a breadvan!

BTW, the breadvan and trailer grossed 20K lbs and got 11 mpg for the 1000 mile trip. We went very slow up the hills, but not as slow as 2 semi trucks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The cummins is not the problem its the van. Its worse if there is a divider and shelves in the thing. Its not just like riding in a steel drum, try riding while someone pummels it with a bat and for several hours. The motor sound like music to my ears.

·
Registered
96 Posts
EMIEVEL, stick or auto?

Yes, they are very loud with racks and no sound proofing, but you get the entire setup for much less thatn just buying an engine..:)

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quick question:
What does the "Fuel Problem" usually mean? Hard to fix, or just something simple?

P.S.
You Tennesseans should be happy this month.:smokin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the calling and looking before you bid.
I bought one at Byron, GA.
Paid for it via credit card.
When I attempted to take delivery, it had already been delivered to another person that bought two others at the same location.
The Frito people jumped through hoops to get me another one with the same engine / transmission combo. I bought it to get a replacement engine for a motor home.

Can anyone point me to the best way to sell the spare parts I don't need? (like the rear end, wheels)
I plan to keep the AT542 (the motor home has a AT542)

-Jim

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Once you've got 10 posts under your belt, you can put things up for sale in the classifieds here.

And there's always craigslist.org.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got my truck from Dovebid for $2,025, 80K on the cummins reman. Brought a trailer 3 hours to pick it up, truck was much bigger than expected. Truck still had tags, registration, and ins., drove the thing home, took nearly 5 hours. Damn turbo 400 trans. :grinpimp:

Sold tires, alum, steel, for $1,000.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts