Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been slowly gathering my pieces to do a diesel conversion on my 1966 Land Rover 2A ExMoD ambulance. Front to rear the drivetrain I have picked is 4BTA/NP435/Series Hi Ratio Xfercase/Toy ELoc diffs and axles in Rover housings. The problem I have is getting Toy R&P high enough to go 60mph, apparently Toyota didnt make any or many R&Ps in the low 3 range that I need.

I really dont want to put a 5 spd in because the NP435 keeps everything in its stock location. Is there some special place to look for Toy R&Ps in the range I need?

Mahalo

Below is a pic of my rover.

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi KingSlug, there aren't many US Rover owners on this group, I am sure they will chip in with info relevant to the US. I am in the UK I don't know what Toy elocs are I will guess Toyote electric locking diff . You could always put Rover 3.54 R&Ps in though. Are you sure the series tcase is upto the job? the 2A ambulance must weigh 2.75t empty and more loaded with a 4bt taking no prisoners your tcase might come off 2nd best. There must be plenty of US tcases that will bolt right upto an NP435. Are you gonna make a camper out of it?
JMO

Gaza

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I have been slowly gathering my pieces to do a diesel conversion on my 1966 Land Rover 2A ExMoD ambulance. Front to rear the drivetrain I have picked is 4BTA/NP435/Series Hi Ratio Xfercase/Toy ELoc diffs and axles in Rover housings. The problem I have is getting Toy R&P high enough to go 60mph, apparently Toyota didnt make any or many R&Ps in the low 3 range that I need.

I really dont want to put a 5 spd in because the NP435 keeps everything in its stock location. Is there some special place to look for Toy R&Ps in the range I need?

Mahalo

Below is a pic of my rover.
fastest I am aware of is near 3.73 or so.. In some of the V6 models only unfortunately.. I am having the same problem, am stuck with 4.10s. Never thought I would want faster LOL but I do.. 3.54 or 3.73 would be great for me, even with 35" tires...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
What I would do is go to Ford 9" if it were me, that is a good stong diff and good street friendly gears avail. You can probably get good money for your e locking diffs... Good luck with it..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jared, I had a chat with Timm Cooper, who's forgotten more about engine swaps into series rovers than I'll ever know... His take is that the rover xfer case is up to the task. My plan is for a 4Bt + NV4500 + Rover Xfer Case... Will be switching to 3.54 diffs. Timm makes an adapter to mate the 4500 to the Rover Xfer box. This should provide highway speeds with the engine in it's "happy place" RPM zone.. I'll gladly share any info that I come up with.

RW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mahalo to whoever sent me this: http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

It looks like Toy made a 3.15. Any ideas what vehicles have it? Maybe a 2wd? I need to visit the dealer. I went with the Toy diffs and axles because, they did really well on the Outback Challenge and I like the idea of ELoc, plus a D60 35 spline of something else trick would drive up the cost fast. My ELocs were only $125 a piece but I had to pull them.

The amby is a heavy beast at 6500lbs in expedition form including 42g of diesel, 40g of water and everything else. The 2.25l is 425lbs or there bouts, if I leave off the Keonig winch(I will pack a Tirfor), lower Tcase PTO, the Roverdrive that wont work with the hi ratio Tcase it evens out. Heres where you can see abit of my rover as it gets made into a expedition camper: http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/

Ike Goss is making my adapter to the NP435, it keeps everything in the stock postion. Russ, did Tim say if he was making more disc brakes? We will have to race in our conversions, me being in HI gives you abit of an advantage. The NV4500 would be nice but I need to save a little money for brakes to stop the beasty.

Again Mahalo from the Big Island.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Payment goes through Monday hopefully. Its a remanufactured 4BTA CPL 1839, next to get it to Hawaii.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure of the details. Timm is a GREAT guy and a fabricator of great reputation in rover circles. Give him a call: 209-245-3926

RW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts