Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my truck home from Shreveport today. Man, that thing really hauls on up to 55. The best speed I could get out of it was about 60 on a flat straight, but even up hills it maintained 55. It was like driving a brick through the air and every time an 18 wheeler passed me the wind almost pushed me onto the shoulder. All in all though it was fun. I would definately recommend ear plugs to anyone intending to drive theirs any distance. Anyway I got to go to work. I was excited and just wanted to tell you guys. Later.

York

·
Registered
335 Posts
About 2 week ago after buying one, dad drove it back 600 miles laughing all the way home. He said the exact samething that the 18 weelers would dam near blow him off the road....LOL He was happy that I brought him ear plugs, even though he gave me a strange look when I offered them to him....he had no idea. He was lucky to make it home ok since I discovered that the output shaft nut hadent backed off but the shaft had sheared off and the nut was just bouncing arround between the U joint and the yoke. And that all of the U joints were toasts, and just full of some sort of red dust that at one time must have been grease. :eek: Other than a few things the truck is great....congrats on buying yours

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took mine 500 miles

What an experince. I too could only do 60. Up hill, flat, down hill it did not matter. Did my drive about two weeks ago. Me and my Pop. I also had to wear ear plugs. I feel sorry for the guys who drive these for a living. I picked mine up in Tuscon and it has NO AC. It was only 93 and I couldn't believe the heat of the dog house. I can't imagine what it is like in the summer with 110+ temps. That and the noise, it is actually hazerdous.

It is easy to say now, but I say you can't be a real member of this board unless you have done the "the drive".

·
Registered
425 Posts
Congrats on getting one! I had it floored and everyone was still passing me, even the semi's. My chaser told me I hit 57mph. I don't think I'd want to go much faster than that but it certainly got there just fine. It was fun getting it in the backyard around the house on my small city street. Are you planning on scrapping it?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Congratulations on getting it home! It was a thrill for me when I got to bring mine home, too..

Call me insane, but I'm actually taking my P-30 when I go to my Dad's for Thanksgiving tomorrow afternoon. Just because I enjoy driving the thing. Google maps gives it as 135 miles each way.

The worst noise I've had with it (other than it needing an overdrive or faster rear end) is the sliding door between the cabin and cargo area. Keep it closed, and wedge it in place so it can't "flop" at the bottom, and you get a much quieter ride.

I've already threatened to let the step-mother use it for a black Friday run to the mall...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
That is so funny. I bought mine in Denver and drove it about 10 hours home to the Salt Lake City area, also same thing about 60 mph max across Wyoming. I thought it would be a miserable trip but it actually wasn't bad at all, I did it in one shot and it was a very fun trip despite that being usually called a long and miserable road (I-80 through Wyoming, very tundra-like). Same thing, a combo of ear plugs, and I used Sirius Satelite radio here and there with headphones with a quick homebrew cigarette lighter I rigged up, worked great :) I did encounter a little trouble keeping it at top speed against the wind and I was in a slight "hurry" , LOL, so I bumped up the fuel power fuel screw and it make a noticable differnce. I still got high teens as far as mileage...

Once I got home I actually drove it for a month or two for mostly garbage runs and to deliver an engine, and it was great. I took it to lacrosse practice one night for a men's team I play on and I still get comments about it a year and a half later, my friends think it is too funny that I brought a Doritos truck to lacrosse practice.. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
loudest

Aren't these fun?

My first one blew a rear tire after 7 miles and knocked the gravel shield down so it would bounce between the tires and the wheelwell. It was so loud it was painfull, even with earplugs in!!!!!

My Dad said it was loud and he was in the pickup behind me.

I got the shield torn off and drove 140 miles at 45mph on the other good tire.

Very dirtball thing to do, even for me.......

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'll probly end up scrapping it, unless I just find a great deal on a decent sbc to stick in it. If that happens who knows I might keep it for a while or even sell it.

I really haven't decided. Realisticly, I need to scrap it, my place already looks like a junk yard, and I really need the money to help with the swap into something else.

I'm glad my trip home was relatively uneventful. It was definately short in comparison to some of yalls.

Something that I noticed when I picked up the truck was how the motor doesn't even seem to make a full revolution and it fires off....... every time. I mean you barely bump the starter, and she's ready to go, and all of this without any kind starting aid. The GM diesels at work have glow plugs and even after you sit and wait on them the motor acts like it doesn't want to start.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am in the market for similar....what motor/trans do they have in em?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ill add one helpful hint for the road trips. Take some wire ties with you and secure the door/screen behind the seat to its supports/braces about every 12-18 inches. Makes a lot of difference in the noise level.
Carl

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
good to know.. The motor is a 4BT and the drivetrain varies according to who makes it. There are standard and auto GM versions (SM465 or TH475) and I think(??) there are standard only versions of the Fords. The plate on the Cummins matches the drivetrain so Ford or Chevy usally. The engines themselves are 105 hp 4BTs or sometimes 120hp 4BTAs, not really a whole lot of difference, one is aftercooled. This is where almost all of us are getting our engines I think. The 4BTs can be juiced up and intercoolered added, etc just like a Gen 1 Dodge. They sort of are like a Gen 1 Dodge just with two less cyls. You can get 25 mpg easily if you *don't* bomb them out and still get pretty good power... The Ford and Chev application 4BTs have small little parts differences but for the most part they're interchangable...

·
Registered
66 Posts
the 4BT is not running out of power at 55 these bread trucks are geared 4.10-4.56 so at 55 the lil engines are running at there 2500RPM governed speed!!! when I put mine in my Jeep with the TH475 i'll be running 3.73 gears and a 37" and up tire size so at 55 rpm will be 1,913 and 65 will be 2,261I dont really drive it faster then 65 it is a daily driver but i have other things t odrive if i wanna go fast and its built for 4 wheeling over top speed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine had a bad tranny, so I trailered it home. For those of you who drove them home a long way, did any of you check the fuel mileage? The maintenance guy at Frito said that mine would run about 65 mph because they set the pumps up to 2900 rpm.

I am putting a Pontiac 400 engine in mine, and rebuilding my Pontiac 400 trans with the short bolt on yolk for it. I already have it sold, but am having trouble finding the motor mount plates for a V8. Anyone have any suggestions? There must be a ton of these trucks out there for parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts