Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

DT466-360 feasibility

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Hindman 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with these older mechanical detroit engines? I have been planning a towing rig type build for awhile now and had always thought the cummins 5.9 was the way to go as I am trying to do it as mechanical as possible for simplicity! But I recently have been learning more about these Detroit engines and it peaked my interest. What really caught my interest was the fact that they are wet sleeved and thus there is never a need to bore it out to rebuild! Yes I know the 466 weighs a lot more than a 5.9 but I am planning to go with full air ride suspension so that should not be a huge factor.

Please let me know any thoughts or concerns I am still in the brainstorming stage!

#2 ·
#3 ·
Dt360 is a 5.9 just like the 12v. I also would love to put one in a pickup. Carson stauffer diesel has some trans adapters too. I believe most of the 360s are a bosch A pump. The tractor pull guys really get some fuel through them, there just doesnt seem to be as much info out there as there is for the p pumps.

#5 ·
Do you think a 360 is a better choice? I kinda perfer the 408 or 466 so I dont have to have to crank it up too extremely to get the power I am looking for (I want a heavy tow rig so 3-4-500 hp is the range I am looking at) I also like the idea of a P-pump better as it is a bigger pump and would have to work less for the same volume. What I am shooting for is an engine that will last a lifetime (1-2 million miles) so I dont want to hop it up too much in order to retain reliability.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Making a fun, fast lighter pickup would be a great reason to swap a DT466 into a pickup. If you want to tow heavy with it leaving it in the medium duty truck would be a better plan.

If you want a more "dailyable" medium duty look at the cabovers like Isuzu, Fuso, Hino.

How does an 8.3 Cummins live towing 30k at 500HP?

If I wanted to tow 30k with 300+HP I'd be looking at a 3406, an N14 or even a late BC 855.

#9 ·
I am not trying to make a fast light pickup and I am not interested in an ugly medium duty cabover. Yes I have looked at the 3406 but I do not like the idea of the HEUI injection system :)

Also I kinda need 4x4 and being able to plow with it would be a big plus!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.