Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in peoples opinions on this swap. I'm looking to get my hands on a late 80s early 90s international bus/ dump truck and swap everything over then run a divorced 205. I've seen every build on the net about this swap but none have finished. The only guy I know of is the late 70s ext cab truck puller that has one. Would make one hell of a 1000 horse daily driver.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Im interested in peoples opinions on this swap. I'm looking to get my hands on a late 80s early 90s international bus/ dump truck and swap everything over then run a divorced 205. I've seen every build on the net about this swap but none have finished. The only guy I know of is the late 70s ext cab truck puller that has one. Would make one hell of a 1000 horse daily driver.
Never finsihed? Do you mean just street trucks, because There are pulling trucks running dt-466's. That's typically what I find when searching.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never finsihed? Do you mean just street trucks, because There are pulling trucks running dt-466's. That's typically what I find when searching.
Oh no I mean street trucks because I do know of 2 ford pulling trucks with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the biggest problem i would see in doing it would be shoe horning the beast in. the later the model of the engine the better. it was made in mechanical till the early 90's. the dt466c has all of the updates, the last few years of production even had p7100 series pumps, though the more common m&w pump is easier to play with but wont put out as much fuel.

hth

mac

·
Registered
119 Posts
The problem with that much power is a drive train that will hold it. I have been daily driving in the 800 hp range and since detnued to 660 and I still break billet inputs and dana 80 axleshafts. My opinion is anything over 500hp is not reliable for a long term DD driving out of state etc. And before I actually did this I would have called BS on what I just said....

Reactions: ky-donzi

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have often thought of putting a Dt-466 in a 90s model Ford pickup. After much careful measuring, I think it could be done, but the center part of the firewall would definetly have to be cut to make a dog house. From what I can remember, the back of the dog house would be flush up and down with the face of the dash to give your an idea of how far it would come back. It seemed the top of the doghouse would have to come up under the dash just underneath all the critical items like vents and climate control knobs. In other word, close but doable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if your gonna put a 466 in a ford mids well put in a 2002-04 530 or a 05 up 570 they are all the same size . all the electronic engines only need 4 wires to the computer [on the engine] to run . these are heui injection 02 04 engines with 2 valve head . the 05 up engines are 4 valve heads. they are the same injectors as the 7.3 -444 engine. with bigger guts in them [larger plungers] they made the stock ratings for 530 from 250 to 320 and the 570 from 275- 350. they are easy to turn up . they are a 2600 rpm capable engine Ill get a couple of pictures of the 2 and 4 valve heads as I have 2 of them apart for overhaul

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I have thought about this swap from time to time. It could make for a very nice towing vehicle. If your goal is to have a reliable daily driver I would not worry about getting one with a p-pump. A 400hp dt466 will be making around 1000ft lbs of torque and you definitely do not need a p-pump engine to get a dt466 to 400hp.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thread hi-jack: We have a 3406 cat in a ford tri-axle dump truck that will get 10-12 mpg around town loaded or unloaded. We think we have a golden unicorn of some sort.

A 466 in a light duty truck seems a little counter productive to me. If you were gonna put it in a f-550 with 19.5's I think it would give you a lot more options and be way more useful.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Thread hi-jack: We have a 3406 cat in a ford tri-axle dump truck that will get 10-12 mpg around town loaded or unloaded. We think we have a golden unicorn of some sort.

A 466 in a light duty truck seems a little counter productive to me. If you were gonna put it in a f-550 with 19.5's I think it would give you a lot more options and be way more useful.
I agree an F550 platform would be about perfect. The front end should be beefy enough to handle the added weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts

A 3406?!?! I'm sure you can understand why 99% of the people that read this with any speck of mechanical knowledge would call BS on this, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts