Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to embark on a major overhaul/hx30/35 compounds on my truck, and due to clearance issues I need a remote oil filter setup. I recently purchased a dual remote oil filter head and thread-on block adapter which I plan to use two stock filters on. The ports on the filter head assembly are 1/2" npt and so are the ports in the block adapter. The kit comes with hose barb fittings that I'd rather not use and instead use an hydraulic hose with JIC fittings. My question is weather or not -8 an fittings will flow enough oil and not cause a restriction to vital engine components. My understanding is that 8an is 1/2" I'd, is that correct? Thanks. This is on a 4bt.
Link to eBay http://m.ebay.com/itm/221219393608?nav=SEARCH

·
Registered
378 Posts
The stock remote oil filter plate for 4bt has -10AN fittings for a single full flow filter. With dual full flow filters ( less restriction) I'd say you would be ok with -8AN. However, If this is the Amsoil dual bypass filter plate , I'd go larger with -12AN.

·
Registered
10,911 Posts
If your pipe fittings are 1/2 NP, you may want to go with 10 AN. If you look at the hose specs, 8 AN isn't always 1/2" ID. Not sure that either size would offer any significant restriction. That oil is under pressure and a lot of it can pass through that hose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, the reason I considered -8 is its availability to me, but with two turbos and a million dollar engine to feed oil to, I'd rather play it safe! So -10 is a definite safe bet then?

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMO -10AN JIC fittings/braided hoses on a remote head with two full flow (quality) filters, located no more than 1 meter away from the 1 million dollar compounded 4BTA block running in stock tune should be more than sufficient. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts