Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about swapping a duramax into a 1972 reg cab long box 1500 chevy 4x4? high hp an loads of torque tire burning truck.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Sounds great, let us know how it goes.

My only concern, and if I were building it I would use 3/4 or 1 ton frame and running gear, as I use a truck for a truck.

If you never haul anything 1/2 ton stuff may be fine, or may not....

Grigg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the frame and axles are strong enough for the power but the suspension will be upgraded. I have a 550hp 383 in it at the moment.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
the frame and axles are strong enough for the power but the suspension will be upgraded. I have a 550hp 383 in it at the moment.

I would not say that quite so quickly, might want to try it out before you are really sure.
Gas and Diesel engines are different in how and where they produce power and torque. The diesel has more useful power (I think), and I could see it being harder on components then the high rpm gas engine is, given the two has similar HP numbers.

If you plan to haul a trailer or much of a load 1/2 ton components may not hold up, after all, they were designed for a 1/2 ton truck.

If you just want a truck to drive like a car the 1/2 ton stuff may be fine?

I'm sure you can make it work one way or the other,

Grigg

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Having more experience with gas engines than diesels in trucks myself I've seen far more damage caused by a 250 HP big block than any 500+ horse small block could ever muster.

500+ lb/ft numbers from naturally aspirated small blocks are made with fudged dyno inputs. Even if it were possible, small block power is different. It's peaky, useless in the real world.

Build the nastiest small block your wallet can muster, put any tranny you want behind it and any rear end ratio. Put it in a 7000 pound truck and tow a 10K trailer up a steep grade for 20 miles at 65 MPH. You won't make it.

Drop an RV cam in a low compression 4" stroke big block with headers and a small 4V. Put a 4 speed behind it and 3.55 gears 31" tires. Put that in the same truck and do the same thing. You might have to hit 1/2 throttle to pull that. The engine will sound like it's in it's sweet spot at 2500 RPM even with all that load. Everything will seam normal, except maybe the driver's side of your hood sitting up a bit from engine torque.

That's torque. Torque rips trailer hitches off frames, turns 1350 U-joints into powder and accelerates heavy loads without downshifting.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just to add to average250's comments....

The DMax will out torque the mild big block he is speaking of, so keep that in mind:).

I have a 12V in my V3500 chevy and I am very familiar with those and earlier vintage chevy frames. The earlier frames were stronger but only marginally. The 1ton frames however are heavier gauge and taller top to bottom adding alot more strength. If you are building a driver, then I would not hesitate. If you are wanting to tow heavy loads, I would do some boxing on the frame at a miniumum with suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck is not going to be a sled puller and it has a rare Canadian option that gave it a H.O. 350,the turbo 400 and 3/4 ton axles from the factory. I know how diesels and gas engines work!! I have been a Heavy Duty mechanic for 5 years with the largest CAT dealer in the world. The diesel will work. I just wanted to see what other people from diffrent areas thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AverageF250 have you seen a twin turbo 383 1000hp. and i never said it was naturally aspirated. single turbo 5psi

·
Registered
44 Posts
i think more the point he was trying to get at is you have to remember that the 383 in there now, yeah its got 500hp, but its only got +-500ft. lbs as well where as if you were going to build a 500hp D'max it will be up around +-1000ft.lbs and not even break a sweat, if your going high horse Diesel power take the necessary precautions for your truck to hold the torque these monsters are capable of...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Build the nastiest small block your wallet can muster, put any tranny you want behind it and any rear end ratio. Put it in a 7000 pound truck and tow a 10K trailer up a steep grade for 20 miles at 65 MPH. You won't make it.
I will have to disagree with you on this one. I pulled 20,000 lbs in a 4500lbs 3/4 ton chevy that has the stock 245k mile 210hp 350 in it. I understand that I didnt pull any real hills while doing so but it pulled it and with rpm it would hold speed ok. Understand that I did this with what I had not some purpose built pullin rig. Bet me the money it takes to build the truck and show me the grade, Im your huckleberry;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ignorance is Bliss, isn't!!! :rasta:

Pulling 20000lbs. behind a light framed tk! blow a tire on anything and you will be a Huckleberry

good thing there is no hills out thar in Wes taksas!!:grinpimp:

To me a Durmax in that year of chevy or GMC would be great!! If it breaks Fix IT!!!

Shorten a 3/4 frame up to SWB specs. If your doing any conversions you have to have some shop skills, use them :beer:

Just my 2cents ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ignorance is Bliss, isn't!!! :rasta:

Pulling 20000lbs. behind a light framed tk! blow a tire on anything and you will be a Huckleberry

good thing there is no hills out thar in Wes taksas!!:grinpimp:
Im not ignorant, Im crazy theres a big difference. I know what I was doing wasnt safe but that wasnt my point. My point is that torque is torque, I dont get were people think that a sbc that has 400ft is less capable than any other engine with the same numbers. I understand that you might have to pull some Nascar stuff and hold the sbc at 7,000rpm to get the desired affect but with gears its possible, and I know it.

Oh by the way that was a tandom axle bumper pull trailer:skull:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do it dude. I am putting a 6bt into a 87 1500 Suburban 2wd. I plan on drag racing, sled pulling, and the ultimate of conversions, grocery getting.:rasta:

Now I have a mild 6bt, VE pump with about 250hp/500tq from what I have done to it. It will have a 727 3spd auto, 33" tires, 3/4t suspension, 3.07 D70U rear-end. Join the crazy 1/2t Big Power club:D

Pics at http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/oldestof11/

Hehehe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts