Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 10,000 miles I’ve developed an oil leak. Changed out the o ring on the turbo supply line but still have one somewhere else. Thought it was the front seal but now it’s looking more like the rear main. I gunked it down and washed it off and still can’t quite locate it. Thinking of using dye to narrow it down. Anybody used dye before and if so any particular brand. Tia.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
The leak on the turbo side ? Have a good look around the oil cooler cover. Oil from there will run back along the oil pan join and appear to be from the rear of the engine.
Sorry no experience with tracer dye.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rear valve cover gasket was split on mine . Took a bit to determine what was going . Oil cooler as stated will drive you batty . Mine was wicking around bolt threads causing a leak also .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was some oil on the front gear cover and along the side of the pan on the left side along with some around the rear of the pan. I didn’t clean it off and added the dye and started it up. That stuff is incredible. Immediately picked it it up with the uv light everywhere there was oil. Evidently it wicks. I wiped it all off and the only place I found it active was coming from the rear main. I let it idle for 30 minutes and that was the only place. The other places are just very minute seeps I guess. It isn’t a bad leak and obviously only opens up under higher rpm and load. I just changed the oil so in 3000 miles I’ll go in and replace the rear main. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Where did you source the dye. Maybe something i need to find.
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it at NAPA. 1oz for 5 qts of motor oil. It also works on diesel fuel and automatic transmission fluid. It’s from China so God only knows what’s in it. I have no idea how long it lasts. My Mac tools UV light was getting a little ify so I bought a cheap light and two bottles of the dye for around 30 bucks. Cheap enough in today’s world.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Went for an extended drive yesterday, highway and back road cruising. This morning I checked with the uv and I’m finding traces of dye coming from around the gear case cover (the outer one) seemed to be coming from two or three bolts on the drivers side and then running along the top and bottom of the pan to the back of the engine. I pulled the bolts (all except the bottom one that goes clear through to the block. I’ll have to pull the crankshaft dampener to get it out. ) Anyway the threads are picking up dye. Looks like anti seize on the threads. The bolts are flanged head can’t remember now if they have a fiber or rubber washer. I’m gonna seal up the threads with Permatex and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts