Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my problem, bought a hughes performance torque converter from summit with a 1200 rpm stall. The listing states that it is designed for diesel engines and engines over 400 cid. Well my little 4bt broke the weld where the snout for the pump meets the face of the converter. So I'm currently in the market for a new converter. My question is weather or not I can use a converter designed for the powerstroke e4od. More specificly weather or not the bolt pattern on the powerstroke converter will match my gasser ford smallblock flexplate pattern. I have a monster rebuilt e4od in a 1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco. I'd really like to use one of the triple clutch TC's from suncoast diesel, but they're rather spendy so I'd like to get it right the first time! Thanks -Joe

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Here is the torque converter maker I have used many times they really know their stuff. Give them a call and tell them what you have. A good diesel TC is not going to be cheap, I would say around $1200 http://converter.com/converters.htm
Houghes is known for the issue you had, I have owned one behind a 6bt and it sucked. A gas flexplate doesn't have enough bolt holes for a diesel TC. I assume your Bronco trans was built for a gas engine. If so forget trying to use it, get it built for a diesel application. Gas and diesel trannies are not similar they are made for completely different rpm ranges and that makes a big difference. There are only three trans builders in the USA I can recommend for Ford diesel applications; Brian's Truck Shop in Lead Hil AR, John Wood Automotive in So.Cal, and Suncoast in FL. Anybody else is a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I will most likely use this company for the replacement when the funding permits it, i like the warranty!. To further clarify, the torque converter off say a 1995 Powerstroke with an e4od, will NOT bolt to my flex plate? I am using the Destroked adapter plate for a ford smallblock e4od bellhousing and their flex plate which permits the use of either a 4 or 6 stud(gas only?) converter(the Houghes converter was a 6 stud and the stock 4-stud 302 converter also fit this flex plate). What i am concerned with is weather or not i will be unintentionally purchasing the wrong converter. Most companies who list a diesel converter for an e4od show 6 studs, does the stud pattern on a 6-stud Powerstroke E4od TC match that of a gas(300,302,351) TC? The bellhousing between the diesel and gas e4od's changes, as for the flexplate I have found very little information.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Well now that you have added a few more details about your setup I will differ you to Destroked since they made your flexplate. I do not know of a 6 bolt gas engine torque converter, I would believe that to be a diesel bolt pattern since Destroked dosn't make gas engine parts but again call Destroked to be certain. I would also talk to either Precision, BTS, or one of the other trans shops I listed about using a Powerstroke converter with a 4bt. I have adapted 6bt's to Ford diesel auto trannys and was never advised to just use a stock PSD converter. I would also think it is prudent to double check the converter pump drive snout length to the trans pump drive depth, taking into consideration the aftermarket adapter and flexplate to be sure the snout isn't bottoming out, or some other issue there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I did my swap with a 4r100 and used the destroked flex plate and sun coast converter. I had to have the converter re drilled and tapped for the destroked flex plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts