Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
Hey Pianoman,

Welcome to 4bt swaps! The cutter is determined by shaft diameter and the # of splines.. And the diameter of your splined shaft may not be full engagement (i.e. smaller diameter), so there is a bit of intuition/guess work involved. There is a standard for splines that you can find in the Machinists Handbook (I hazard that your splines are involute). Most spline cutters can cut a narrow range of diameters/# of splines. I made a test shaft out of aluminum before I cut the Eaton output. What is the diameter of your shaft? I'll see if I can find the reference sites I used.

Cj

And sorry about the slow reply... it's been a couple of busy weeks at work and home.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi cj, what I ended up finding out on another forum was that it is a 30deg pressure angle. That was really the first step to selecting the appropriate cutter. From there, the module and # of teeth narrow it down. Finished the shaft yesterday, and the adapter today.

Automotive tire Machine tool Building Gas Wood

Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Road surface Machine

Bumper Machine tool Rim Gas Cylinder

Wood Red Gas Engineering Machine tool

Household hardware Nickel Gas Wood Coil spring

· Registered
7 Posts
It's what I do full time out of my garage (machining). This is a project for my cousin, I don't normally do automotive type work. Measured spline over pins to get a pitch diameter sort of reference (not true but close enough for comparison) and made the new spline to match the existing one. Fit exactly the same. Hopefully will be assembling everything Tuesday.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
My shop is a side hustle for the moment. I do enough work that it pays for power and heating as well as a bit extra. What cutter did you end up buying for the splines? I'll bet the lathe had fun cutting through the hardened exterior of the Eaton output shaft.

· Registered
7 Posts
Mine started as a side hustle while working full time in a machine shop, and did both for about 6 yrs while acquiring more machines, tools, etc. Finally pulled the trigger last July and went full time. The cutter came from Ashgear, FMF30-125-4. Yeah turning down the hardened spline ate up a few inserts lol!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I have been a long-time reader of the 4btswaps forums and I have to say there are a lot of cool projects out there. Thanks for all the inspiration.

I have always thought about changing the transmission out on my truck and so a few months after I first bought the truck (some 8 years ago) I found an ad for a dead International t444e motor. From that engine, I was able to get my hands on the flywheel housing adapter needed for any future conversion. The original plan was a TTC Eso 7-speed swap.

At any rate, 5 years ago I pulled a mill I purchased locally home to my place. Trailer plus machine was around 21k (yah, I only exceeded the book GCR by a bit). As I was just on surface roads it wasn’t too bad other than having to really ride the clutch to get the truck moving and having to go into 4 wheel low to back the trailer into the driveway… but, things really got started 2 years ago (April 2016) while pulling my dad’s disabled truck home from Laramie,Wyoming.

All told I was pulling around 15k and trying to keep the truck rolling at a reasonable pace was a bugger… there is a reason that the 97 F350 was only rated for 11k towed weight (and it sits between the engine and rear axle). Needless to say it was tough finding a gear the engine was happy with that didn’t require me revving the engine into the stratosphere (how did Ford come up with the red-line for the 7.3??) to keep the boost up and the truck at a reasonable speed.

So, after arriving home I started doing some digging and found that someone had done an Eaton Rto 6610 swap in a Dodge Ram. Two weeks of trolling later I found a Rto 6610 on Craigslist and the adventure was underway. Two days and 1533 miles later, this was sitting in my garage...

View attachment 121907 View attachment 121909

Fellow I bought it from thought it had less than 50k miles on it. The swap is actually finished and the truck is on the road, but there is a little more to the saga than I can type up in one evening.

Cj
Cj, I was planning on doing the same thing to my f350. I got some questions about it though. Would you be willing to help me out with them. I was looking at your pictures, but I think I'd have a better understanding by talking to you. Trying to find a international is going to be the hardest part, so I think I'm going to have to get the stuff piece by piece. The one 6610 I found was a manual clutch set up, so I wasn't sure if I could make that work with me existing clutch pedal since mine is hydraulic, and I see yours is too. We're you able to use your master and slave cylinder and just build a bracket? Also, what did you do for your air supply?

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Go back and read through page 3, I have some info on hydraulic/air clutch b slave cylinders. Pictures are possubily floating around in this section

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
@DirtyDan123 I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. For some reason the notifications for thread updates are not coming through so I just saw your post.
Trying to find a international is going to be the hardest part,
There are a TON of 7.3s out there! International put them in a bunch of medium duty trucks (4700s) and buses.
We're you able to use your master and slave cylinder and just build a bracket? Also, what did you do for your air supply?
I was able to reuse the hydraulic setup. Well, I had to upgrade the slave cylinder to one that came in the SD version (99+ F350). I am wearing the bushings in the clutch system out faster than I'd like. I'm in the process of putting a Volvo servoslave (an air over hydraulic slave cylinder) in the truck to reduce the stresses on the clutch petal. This will also require a custom made master cylinder so that the stroke distances are correct. As for air supply... I'm still manually filling an 8 (or so) gallon air tank that I keep in the bed of the truck (it lasts me around two weeks of driving).

Cj

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I run a Viair compressor, been on there 5 years without any issues. It is a continous duty unit, have a couple of small tanks from a truck wrecking yard that are mounted between the chassis rails.

· Registered
153 Posts
Hey cjfisher, is there any chance in the world you have the PN or application of the clutch arm you used on the eaton clutch shaft? I see yours is the oddball splined shaft also which I want to use. I'm having a hell of a time finding anything other than a super stubby spicer "clutch stop" lever to work with that is $150 at the local truck shop. The lever you have looks ideal to work with.

Thank you and absolutely fantastic job!!!

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
@Whitbread, I know the arm has a Ford stamping on it.
Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

I can't get a good angle on the other part of the arm that has numbers on it... I tried to do a rubbing but that didn't turn out either.
Hood Automotive lighting Liquid Tints and shades Vehicle door

The fellow I bought the transmission from had it and gave it to me. I can only hazard that it came off some Ford medium duty truck. I know some of the F650/F750 or F (600, 700, 800) came equipped with manual transmissions. I suppose it could have come off an L series truck as well. I don't even have a year..

Cj

· Registered
153 Posts
@Whitbread, I know the arm has a Ford stamping on it.
View attachment 135263
I can't get a good angle on the other part of the arm that has numbers on it... I tried to do a rubbing but that didn't turn out either.
View attachment 135264
The fellow I bought the transmission from had it and gave it to me. I can only hazard that it came off some Ford medium duty truck. I know some of the F650/F750 or F (600, 700, 800) came equipped with manual transmissions. I suppose it could have come off an L series truck as well. I don't even have a year..

Cj
Holy cow! Thank you for the quick attempt! I'll start the google hunt again with ford keywords. I never would've thought a silly arm would be so hard to find. Thank you again for the try!!!

· Premium Member
1,178 Posts
That arm may not be specific for RR's, possibily any Eaton trans will fit.. Splined clutch shafts are common on many truck transmissions not just Fords. May pay to raid a truck wrecking yard.

· Registered
153 Posts
That arm may not be specific for RR's, possibily any Eaton trans will fit.. Splined clutch shafts are common on many truck transmissions not just Fords. May pay to raid a truck wrecking yard.
I went into all 3 local semi truck part shops and they all acted like my hair was rainbow dyed when I showed them a picture of what I had/wanted. "That's OLD shit, no one uses that anymore" was the general answer I got. One shop pulled out a very short spicer "clutch stop" arm and blew the dust off that rang up $170. Thanks but no thanks. Sadly the only yard with trucks is an hour and a half away and it's the middle of winter up here in northern michigan. I never in a million years thought a clutch arm would be so hard to source!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts