Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im looking at giving the 4bt in my 91 C1500 a rebuild as its burning oil pretty bad right now. I think the engine is at around 500,000 miles. While im at it I want to do some performance mods. On the list right now is a denny t stage 1 fuel pin and maybe some power driven diesel injectors. Im aiming for 200 - 250 hp. I have also heard that the HX30 is the 4bt turbo upgrade to do with out getting into a crazy compound setup.

After reading the holset conterfiting guide and doing some research, these look legit but I wanted to run them buy you guys first to make sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HOLSET-HX30W-4040382-3598542-3592318-CUMMINS-4BT-4BTA-3-9L-Turbocharger-/172746548053?epid=516692005&hash=item28387f2355:g:Y6kAAOSw241Ya6F2&vxp=mtr

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
559 Posts
Im looking at giving the 4bt in my 91 C1500 a rebuild as its burning oil pretty bad right now. I think the engine is at around 500,000 miles. While im at it I want to do some performance mods. On the list right now is a denny t stage 1 fuel pin and maybe some power driven diesel injectors. Im aiming for 200 - 250 hp. I have also heard that the HX30 is the 4bt turbo upgrade to do with out getting into a crazy compound setup.

After reading the holset conterfiting guide and doing some research, these look legit but I wanted to run them buy you guys first to make sure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-HOLSET-HX30W-4040382-3598542-3592318-CUMMINS-4BT-4BTA-3-9L-Turbocharger-/172746548053?epid=516692005&hash=item28387f2355:g:Y6kAAOSw241Ya6F2&vxp=mtr

Thanks,
James

I got my hx30 holset from him around 4 months ago when my fake hx30 broke. Looks legit and drives good.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
One item on your want list was bigger injectors. In general, that's an item you don't need for 200 HP and stock units would probably get you to 250. Possibly rebuild your stock units or replace them. The turbo you're looking at should be excellent. That one has the 44 mm inducer which is in the middle of the HX30W pack. Also, best turbo should twins ever get into your plans.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
No, the stock injectors can flow a lot more fuel than you're using right now. You have to adjust that at the injection pump and of course when there's more fuel you need more air (boost) to burn it. If you increase fuel but not the air you wind up with something that smokes and has higher EGT's. About 22 lbs boost will handle 200 HP. For 250 HP you'll probably need in the 30 lb range. The single HX30W can easily do either of those boost levels. I'll tell you that 250 HP is a ton. You'd be well in excess of 500 lb ft of torque. Might feel sort of like a 454 big block well tuned. You didn't mention, but what transmission or differential do you have? That much power can play havoc with drive train parts if you're not careful. That fact that the torque comes on a low RPM can do some damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All this info is super helpful so thanks a bunch. Im running a a518 (46rh) that was freshly rebuilt and running behind a 6bt when I bought it. I also have M5R2 I pulled out of a thunderbird super coupe. Also a T19, which I think everyone has one laying around. Been on a search for a 2wd nv4500 but they are getting hard to find. My truck is a 2wd 1991 GMC C1500 with a 6 lug conversion. The differentail is out of a 98 truck or suburban, dont remember.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
The Dodge A518 (46RH) would be fine for an automatic. It's only drawback is that it doesn't offer a lockup torque converter. That came on the 47RH which was only used in '94-95. After that they all became electronic. The M5R2 is a good manual and if your 4bt has the Ford adapter plate it will bolt right up if it is the SB Ford version. How well it would hold up is depending on what you do with the truck. Member Eggman can attest to it's strength, but it's not unbreakable. I'd say if you try to dump 250 HP into it you'd be better off with a SB Ford ZF S5-42. Doesn't have the best gear ratios like the M5R2, but it's super strong. Ideally, the S5-42 from a Ford 7.3 is the best, but the adapters and clutch to fit it to the Cummins is in the $1500-2000 range. The T19 had no OD gear and probably be the last choice. The NV4500 is pretty strong but doesn't have the best gear ratios for the 4bt. Just have to weigh all the pluses and minuses and pick one.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
That is a Super HX30W for sure?
As far as I know the Super HX30W is the only HX30 that uses the removable silencer ring. Others that are more of the experts might chime in.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
I did some digging on an old thread and that should be the Super model. The Supers have several distinct differences. One, the air intake is 4" instead of 3". The compressor outlet is larger and the same as the HX35W. The oil inlet is different than the standard HX30W. And of course it has a 46 mm inducer which would be hard to tell from the photos. That particular turbo is listed for a Deutz 4.2 L engine.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I did some digging on an old thread and that should be the Super model. The Supers have several distinct differences. One, the air intake is 4" instead of 3". The compressor outlet is larger and the same as the HX35W. The oil inlet is different than the standard HX30W. And of course it has a 46 mm inducer which would be hard to tell from the photos. That particular turbo is listed for a Deutz 4.2 L engine.
I believe the Deutz 4.2 is one of the Euro spec motors that used the Super HX30W, Some have problems with these turbo listings since everyone is gun shy of Chinese turbos. But, the Super HX30W as far as I can tell has only ever been produced at the Wuxi plant and has never been sold commercially in the USA.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
Don't believe the Super HX30W was ever in the US market. All those are import and usually Chinese. They are still genuine Holset units.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't believe the Super HX30W was ever in the US market. All those are import and usually Chinese. They are still genuine Holset units.
Just buy it from Alcaid. $650 shipped for an hx30w super drop shipped direct from Wuxi to your doorstep. The 44mm is about $100 less I believe. You would not need the 46 or the 44 for a compound setup. I believe there is a 42 and I would use that compressor next time for compounds.

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
There have been a few 42mm HX30W's floating around but that is not a common model. I believe it's application was a 6bt and it came with a 12cm turbine housing. You'd need to change that to 6cm for it to be any good on a 4bt. The 44mm is supposed to be the ideal unit to use in a twin setup. Of course the 40mm turbo has been used by several members with good results. A lot depends on what power level you aim for. Even the 46mm Super model could be used if you were planning an all out assault on the power level. Most aren't going to the 400-500 HP range, but it could be done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There have been a few 42mm HX30W's floating around but that is not a common model. I believe it's application was a 6bt and it came with a 12cm turbine housing. You'd need to change that to 6cm for it to be any good on a 4bt. The 44mm is supposed to be the ideal unit to use in a twin setup. Of course the 40mm turbo has been used by several members with good results. A lot depends on what power level you aim for. Even the 46mm Super model could be used if you were planning an all out assault on the power level. Most aren't going to the 400-500 HP range, but it could be done.
I have a Super that I do not need. Never been used. Bought it from Alcaid. I had the cover machined for a speed sensor, but it has never been run. I suppose I should post it for sale somewhere, but I was just planning to stick it on, because it is what I have.

It really seems to be the ideal turbo for the 4bt single for higher power though, so if someone wants it I will just order a 40mm and sell the 46. I did not realize until I modeled the corrected compressor flows that the 46mm is simply not needed when the large turbo is feeding it compressed air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im looking at giving the 4bt in my 91 C1500 a rebuild as its burning oil pretty bad right now. I think the engine is at around 500,000 miles. While im at it I want to do some performance mods. Im aiming for 200 - 250 hp. I have also heard that the HX30 is the 4bt turbo upgrade to do with out getting into a crazy compound setup.

Thanks,
James
What piston and injector combination works the best for this power range? It is in a daily driver, mileage and some extra power when I need it. I am in the process of rebuilding a 4bta cpl 857 ve pump. Should I stay with the ve piston and injector or use the p-pump piston and a 6x0.010 nozzle set for the ve pump?

Thanks
Butch

·
Registered
11,522 Posts
Butch, need to be careful going with large injectors on a VE pump. Stock injectors were 4x.012 which can get well above 200 HP. You can get larger injectors for the VE without changing pistons. The question is always do you really need them.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
4x.012's worked well with the he221 ran clean after being rebuilt with the VE maxed out and AFC set correctly, with 28 psi at the manifold would see 1,150* EGT's pre turbo on high load WOT runs $.02

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased one from eBay, not the same seller. But I paid with PayPal, when the item was received I went over it with the holset pdf showing you the difference between fake and real. Paying with PayPal I could have returned it due to item not as described.. unless knock offs are getting identical parts, mine seems real.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts