Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started this post to show what it takes to install a HE221W in place of a H1C. I've look for a used HE221w and couldn't find one for the last 6 months, so decided to take a chance on the Chinese manufactured under license of a Holset HE221W. After reading the Holset counterfeit prevention pdf I think what I purchased is genuine licensed Holset turbocharger. What helped in the decision is there is a warrantee and a return policy, Most sellers of turbo's on ebay don't have that.
Here's a comparison of a H1C and the HE221W.
As you can see there are some missing parts on the turbo, the oil line feed, the oil drain and the exhaust flange. I'll be buying those as i find them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A special thanks to 82ChevDiesel for starting the post HE221W Results and to the other posters with their information has made it a lot easier for me to jump in with the purchase, not one but two. The first one is going on the Scout, the second one with the waste gate activator removed is going on the Willys as a top mount. Have to rotate the housing about 110 degrees CW. First thing I found out is all of my snap ring pliers are to small to remove the snap ring thats holding the compressor housing on.
Both of these have the 7cm2 exhaust housing.
and yes they do give a discount when you buy two.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine is a 6cm exaust housing with a 4-bolt exaust flange. Napa has the large snap ring plyers. $50. they are just enough to do the trick. Eggman made the comp. out nipple, very nicely made. Don't forget the dowel pins.

·
Vendor
2,642 Posts
I had to rotate also. Too bad they tied the turbine housing and compressor together instead of stand alone like the wh1c and others. I have some channelocks with 1/8" drilled at a slight angle inward on both to keep snap ring from slipping off. I use weld rod stubs or trashed drill bits for snap ring holes. Works well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
In the interest of sharing data for future archive searches, here's the HE221W 5 bolt flange for v-band clamp, as used on ISF2.8 and ISF3.8 engines. My updated theory is the 5 & 7 cm HE221W turbines used 5 bolt flanges and the 6 & 8.5cm turbines used the 4 bolt flanges. We'll see if that theory holds true over time as more folks begin using them in their projects. Appears this 5 bolt flange may be used for top mount industrial applications. The I.D. of the outlet looks to be just a bit smaller than the I.D. of the outlet on the 4 bolt flange. Anybody got a ballpark price on it ? 5 bolt flange p/n 5255539

5 bolt flange gasket p/n 5260606 (large profile - follows the contours of the flange plate)

5 bolt flange gasket p/n 5255538 (small profile - follows the contours of the turbine cavity)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's a couple variations of the 4 bolt flange style (other than the straight-out V-band style, covered in other threads). Either one would work well in a single low mount application, but using them on a top-mount in compounds would point their outlets up, rather than down (for hot-pipe fabrication) in most cases. 4 bolt flange style, p/n 4935853

4 bolt flange style p/n 4896517

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
First thing I found out is all of my snap ring pliers are to small to remove the snap ring thats holding the compressor housing on.
After fighting those snap rings about 20 times I started welding tabs on them (once removed of course), so I can just grab them with fliers and squeeze em' right out. It took me longer to get those damn rings out originally than it did to mount or remove the turbo.

Cool thread.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Exhaust manifold

I tried to come up with an adapter to so I wouldn't have to replace my exhaust manifold. Not because I'm cheap (well I am kind of) but because the bolts holding it on are so badly rusted that I know there going to break off.
I figured I'd need an adapter to mount the turbo underneath that was angled about 25 degrees, about 2.5" long.
I searched for several day for the adapter, none came up to what I wanted. I figured that the cost to have one carved out of a solid cube would be to expensive and so far I've found the manifolds under $200, new manifold wins.
So off with the head, probably. I'll have to gut the right side of the engine bay and hopefully be able to get at the bolts on the bottom.
First part number 3287130.
This has the round ports so a little grinding is needed.

I am not endorsing the web sites, for your information.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exhaust manifold no. 2

Looks like the first but different part number: 3948477

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exhaust manifold, top center mount

This one's for the Willys.
part number 4946654

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exhaust manifold when room is object

Have no idea where this is used, industrial?
Part number 4939973

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turbo plumbing

Drain and oil lines:
JD p/n RE529326

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Waste gate cover 4 bolt

The photo comes form redhedbronco,
p/n 3978390

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exhaust V band clamp

Used with the 4 bolt WG cover
p/n 3903652

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Waste gate cover 5 bolt

This one seems a little strange.
I think it's used on a top mount. It has extra mounts cast into the outlet for support. An interesting feature is it has a channel from the bypass valve up the side of the exhaust, for better flow?

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,642 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Using the Adapter is back on the menu, I had a fellow forum member offer to help in fabricating the adapter. I've glued up some 2x4s for a full size mock up and as soon as they cure I'll start carving away what doesn't look like an adapter.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bus turbocharger

Found the application for the turbo I bought: cust no.4043978, assy no. 2835143
Came off of a Russian site, translated by google.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
preliminary design

Alpha model being machined up now. The pockets for the T3 nuts will change, not sure what to do there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 240 Posts