·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's awesome!
I really dig the electric-over-hydraulic setup that one dude made...

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats awsome, I have a pro tools air over hyd bender unit and I can see doing that with it..... did you use a premade bender then mount it?? Tigman

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Gotta tell you guys I just love it when you post those links!!!!!!!!!!! bounce

I've had a JD sq bender I cloned 5 years ago. Never finished it because I didn't have, and don't want a place, to bolt it down, also the Hyd cyl was a problem. I have an Enerpac Electric Power pac. Which is good to 10K psi, problem is a enerpac cylinder for it is $500. So the project has set, and I was just looking at it earlier today. I also didn't like the horizontal orientation as I have used the JD sq, and it bends tubes, but it completely sucks to use, and it is very very difficult to duplicate bends with.

I got good ideas, like mounting what I've got, vertically, and using the air over hyd Cyl from Harbor Freight, and putting the whole thing on casters so you can put it in the corner. I mount most of my fab shop machines on casters so I can put them up against the wall when not in use. Band saw, table saw, welders. You pull them to the area you are going to use them in and then put them back when done. Keeps the clutter down and makes more usuable floor space.

The Trike guy is also doing some other cool things.

All of this pertains to what we are doing here at 4BT swaps. It's all fabrication, and everything you can learn only makes you better, and it doesn't really matter where the ideas come from, or that his trike doesn't have a diesel engine on it, because you could put a small Hatz diesel on it and probably get 200MPG! Because we are "Fabricators". It's all good. bounce

And it will be cool! :D

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yep, those are great plans for a great bender. they work well. i like the air over hydro option, way better than cranking by hand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much were the dies? That looks nice since it is a stand alone unit, I do all my work in my small garage so all my tools get rolled and moved around as I need them, nothing has a permanent place except for my welding bench and that's only because it weighs so much.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I built one of those about 5 years ago. Used a pro tools 105 die be a harbor freight air ram. Bends great! Built quite a few cages with it.

I'd definitely recommend it. You do need a bit of lay out skills to make it work good. But most people wanting to dive into this should be able to handle it!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Like the idea. I purchased my bender at auction.

Will bend from 1/2 to 2" tube. Full manual set up.

makes nice roll bars out of 2" x 1/4" wall CDS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought this bender's plans 27 hours ago, and have yet to see them show in my mailbox... anyone have that kind of delay?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts