Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have finally bitten the bullet and bought myself a 4bt. i am just waiting for it to arrive now. the plan at this stage is to hook the motor up to my t-18 to get it running and moving. i will look into more gears/overdrive later. i have found a sbc to toploader bellhousing. hopefully i just need to drill some extra holes for the t-18. make some engine mounts, etc, etc. i will post up some pics as stuff starts to happen.

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
Pictures of all your components would be helpful should you encounter any problems. I for one want to see your T18 to Chevy pattern bellhousing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Pictures of all your components would be helpful should you encounter any problems. I for one want to see your T18 to Chevy pattern bellhousing.
me too

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got my cummins today ! yay ! best part is that it has a sbf flywheel housing, so will fit straight onto my t-18. it had a clutch with the centre torn out of the plate. is this common ? anyway, here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doing the trial fit today. found the engine is deep as buggery ! hope the bonnet shuts ! it went onto my bellhousing. the starter,alternator and fuel lines are all about in the same place biggest electrical headache will be getting the pump stop solenoid to work it seems. ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a pic of the clevo ready to go, the cummins in its new home. the cummins on tacked up mounts. i ended up cutting the clevo stands off the frame, swapping them side to side and rewelding. the engine seems to want to sit to the driver's side a bit. i used mazda bravo engine mounts. how they last, time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have run into dramas with the sump. the engine is designed to sit 3" to the right. the diff centre is 4" to the right. the way the motor sits, the engine is mounted really high. i got onto cummins about alternative sumps. there is one available which is pretty much flat, and is 6.5" high. i would be able to bring the motor down about 1" with this sump. but to do it, i would have to move the whole shebang over to the middle. and this will probably really root my driveshaft angle. any suggestions ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did a bit more today. i found out that not only is the engine 3 inches to the right, but the tranny tunnel too. i guess that relieves the drama about the driveshaft. pulled the sump off, and ( predictably ) found the thrust washer in the sump. also, part of the turbo's thrust washer.:eek: i hope this was from an earlier turbo failure, and it has been fixed. the plan is to chamfer the front of the sump for clearance, then move the drain plug to about the middle of the rhs of the sump.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks like you are getting elbow deep in the conversion, and lovin every minute of it. :) Put up some more pics of the truck, and keep us posted....looking good man!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had a muck around with the sump. moved the sump plug bulge back 3 inches. should clear the crossmember now. chased up a spigot bearing. ordered gaskets and parts to fix the thrust washer. might as well take care of the kdp while it's on the stand. waiting for my starter and belt tensioner to turn up. finishing off the sump today, and removing the last of the gasser paraphenalia. also, i have bought an aftercooler. i reckon i will be able to move the radiator back 4 inches with a suitable box. this willgive me heaps of room to mount the 'cooler and maybe an a/c condenser. summers here can get to 120 degrees.about time for air con methinks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the engine bits today ! yay ! :D also got the starter, and half of the belt tensioner.:( anyway, got the thrust washer in, and spigot bearing fitted. just gotta refit the sump, do the kdp, whang it back in the car. then we might well see some smoke out of it !

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i got the starter but no spacer. the starter may be a bit of a drama. poxy steering box !:( got the engine mounted, finished welding the stands on. used nissan patrol engine mounts after all that. a combination of these mounts, and the fiddling with the sump made the engine sit approx 3/4" lower. the clutch even works. i made a drawing of the piece i need to connect up the exhaust. i am going to get one machined up. imight even get excited and try and tow start it.i wouldn't mind running the engine just to hear it, and get oil pressure. anyway,all in god time i guess.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
found a starter today in the case catalogue. it is a delco 28MT. it is 1/2 inch smaller where the solenoid is, so should just squeak past the steering box. rack and pinion conversion anyone ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tried the starter today. it looks like the steering box will need to come out to put it in ! :eek: then it maybe will give me enough clearance. we'll just have to wait and see i guess.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fitted the starter. it hits the flywheel before i can rotate it into position. i found a mob which will custom make one for me. might have to go that way.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
talked to the guys who are making my starter today. they said it will be able to rotate 360 degrees. so it will be easy enough to get it to clear every thing. fingers crossed anyway.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts