Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guy's drilling and taping for the probe on the 4bta or 4Bt?The manifold isn't open meaning not all 4 cylinder all into one at the turbo.Looks like cylinder 1,2 and 3,4 are together,or is the manifold open in the center?

On the 6bta they all meet into one and you just dill left of center and you have all 6cyl temps.

The first pic is a 4bt CPL 858 low mount .
The second pic is a 4Bta CPL 2264 high mount, water after cooled.

Both manifold's look the same

Anybody.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
Why not just pick one cylinder?
The middle ones will probably run a fraction hotter than the outer two.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is my first time installing a pyrometer and I have no one looking over my shoulder telling me what to do or how I am screwing up. So don't take what I say as gospel.
I chose the rear most port because it was easier to work with and I assumed that bottoming out the probe in the port would be a bad thing. I am under the assumption that bottoming out the probe will give erroneous readings. In reading what Piers Diesel Research wrote up, I placed the probe close to the flange. I did not measure it, I just eyeballed it.

·
Banned
427 Posts
Install It Just Before The Turbo ( Hot Side ) On The 2 Rear Cylinders Passage Way. Dont Let The Fitting Stick Into The Manifold No Deeper Than You Have To. Or You Could Install It In The Exhaust Pipe Right After The Turbo ( Cold Side ) But The Temp Reading Will Be 100 Deg,s. Colder .

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I installed it there too, almost exactly, worked great...

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Also could someone say why its better near the trubo flange versus say in the manifold somewhere? My 6BT manifold is EGT and I though I might install it where the port is for a cleaner install..

·
Registered
197 Posts
digital pyrometer

My brother and I are working out a layout for a 3 and 1/2 digit LCD display pyrometer that we may sell. Looking for suggestions on what everyone would like to see the LCD mounted in and mounting method. The front view will need to be 2" by 1" most likely. The minimum depth of the enclosure will have to be about 1".

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Well, sir, my vision isn't what it used to be, and it wasn't that good back then either! Just installed a set of 2 5/8" AutoMeter gauges in an under-dash panel and hey, I can actually see them!

Mine's a 60's vintage Dodge truck with solid steel dash, no plastic, no facia panels. For my use I'd like a metal enclosure, preferably chrome, that can be added on like a gauge console. Aluminum would be fine for me as well. That or a display that fits within the cutouts for either 2 1/16" or 2 5/8" instruments. But, that's just me...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks for the pics, Matt2matt2, made life easier! Had to [no, really] install my pyro today and didn't have to figure anything out. I like that.... :~ )

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Also could someone say why its better near the trubo flange versus say in the manifold somewhere? My 6BT manifold is EGT and I though I might install it where the port is for a cleaner install..
My thoughts are you get a better read of what the Turbo is actually seeing from that location (flange). On the 6 cyl. engines I have read that the #6 cyl does run hotter than the rest. Does anyone know why?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My brother and I are working out a layout for a 3 and 1/2 digit LCD display pyrometer that we may sell. Looking for suggestions on what everyone would like to see the LCD mounted in and mounting method. The front view will need to be 2" by 1" most likely. The minimum depth of the enclosure will have to be about 1".
If you fellas could put together a combination gauge for the older generation Cummins engines I think it would be a success! I see these on the tuner gizmos but nothing reasonable for the rest of us. Tach, boost and pyro all in one would be great...

·
Registered
696 Posts
My thoughts are you get a better read of what the Turbo is actually seeing from that location (flange). On the 6 cyl. engines I have read that the #6 cyl does run hotter than the rest. Does anyone know why?
I am sure its the design of the intake ,No.6 basically gets a little less air and therefore runs a little hotter.

Gaza

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yeah, and physical location has a lot to do with it. The position of the 6th cylinder means that this area of manifold has received all of the pulses from the sum of the cylinders, wherease the individual runners are only receiving 1/6 of that amount of heat, with some of that being displaced into the atmosphere. So heat builds up more at rear of manifold than front. Same on the position of 4BT turbo flange.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts