Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a question ive been wanting to ask for some time now. Does a turbocharged diesel have a greater tendency to produce high EGT's versus a NON turbocharged diesel. The reason I ask is because I have a 83 Ranger with the Mazda built Perkins diesel which has no turbo. It smokes lightly under normal acceleration and really puffs when you rap it up good. :) I dont really worry around town or on the interstate except when I am driving into a head wind which requires some decent throttle to keep it going 65mph. I can see a very small amount of smoke coming out of the tailpipe when bucking these head winds and it makes me worry that im burning the engine up.

I know I should buy a pyro but I just wanted to hear some opionions first on this question. I see alot of old non turbo diesels where I live and just wondered if they run hotter or not. I see alot of those old 5.7 and 6.2 chevy diesels running around and they seem to just smoke continuosly. :confused:

Thanks in advance for the relpies. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Anytime you compress air it heats up. When you load up a turbo diesel & run it hard, not only are you adding a lot of fuel, but a lot more air (higher Rpms = more boost).

Most engines use an intercooler (water/air) to cool the intake air after it goes through the turbo. Some of the 4BT's had them, some didn't. Good judgement when loading up the engine is useful, but not as useful as a good set of guages. If there's any question to your driving style, get a pyro/boost guage. I wouldn't think a pyro is necessary on a naturally aspiriated diesel, and of course, the boost guage is a moot point.

As far as those old 6.2's and 5.7's the smoke you're seeing could be black smoke (unburnt fuel). If it's bluish smoke, it's burning oil (bad rings), white smoke usually indicated a cracked head/head gasket (antifreeze in the combustion chamber)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts