Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
The trans I am going to use is the M5R2 out of a V6 F150 , the reason is this transmission is what the engine swap guys use to put in a 5.0 V8 in the Ranger , you can use the stock driveshaft and the shifter will exit out of the same shifter hole in the center , also the stock clutch master cylinder will be a plug and play , machining the #2 flywheel down to a #4 . Next I will be moving the blower to the right side of the engine and the governor to the drivers side to use the stock throttle cable and the fuel pump will be next to the original fuel lines , not on the back of the engine like before with the goat set up ,
I finally remembered to take a picture of the Deere housing.:) This cam off one of my 2-53's that lived in a Deere 440 crawler. Would make a great housing to adapt to an automotive trans.:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can understand the rings have more sealing pressure when under more load but the oil rings are on the bottom of the skirt this engine starts well in pa weather and only needs ether when lower than about 20 f I have been wandering if I should keep 21x1 kits on the reman even with the turbo ? my 6-71n in the brig is 17.8x1 and starts ok . I ran a 320 ci dirt mod for ten years in the mid70's and the hot set up then was the low tension oil rings ss330 something on the hastings set and we used crankcase vaccume from a smog pump for sealing stil have the car ...me and one other guy were the first to use a powerglide ,closed drive line with birdcages .and ran that setup til they outlawed it now I'm doing the detroit thing ....
When I converted my 3-53N to a turbo, I replace my 21:1 ‘N’ pistons to the standard 17:1 C/R pistons. Later on over time replace the piston and rods with the 4-53T 18.7:1 pistons and 1.5” piston pin rods. Also replaced original oil pump and cooler with 4-53 pump and cooler.
Just food for though

21 - 22 of 22 Posts