Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 4BT from a friend of a friend. It came out of a snow removal tractor. It has an electronically controlled injection pump and throttle. Does ne one have experience with these?? good bad otherwise?? The guy selling the engine was a cummins tech and said I could swap the pump for whichever I chose to replace it with. What is the ideal pump to have? As a bonus it has a brand new holset turbo on it worth the price I paid alone :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like you got a QSB 4.5. I think they are 110hp. Same bore with a longer stroke. It uses a vp44 syle pump. You will need a different timing cover to use a ve or p-pump.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pictures? Data tags?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unloaded it last night and took pics of the tags but they were horrid.... will get better ones in the light today and hopefully get this bugger figured out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I went out in the daylight and took some photos but the data tag won't show up clear because of the lighting in the garage. The tag says it is a QSB rated at 110 hp and it is the 4.5l (275 cid) instead of the 3.9 I was told it was. It needs some work, one cylinder is scuffed, and the valve quides started leaking. So for 500 was it still a decent deal? came with everything, starter sae#3 housing and flywheel, new holset turbo.

I still want to use it for a repower, extra cubes can't be a bad thing right??

here she is

·
Registered
232 Posts
You said it yourself, the holset turbo is worth it all. Shoot, I can't see how you came out of it bad, even with a rebuild, which could be fun in itself.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You didn't do bad, its all complete!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does one go about figuring out what turbo was supplied with the engine? It looks the size of the H1C I have seen mention (3 " inlet 2" oulet roughly) but it is wastegated :confused: perhaps because it was a power unit?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It has a hx30 with a 12cm exhaust housing. The 3.9 uses a hx30 with a 9cm housing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts