Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea:
Anybody know what the bore spacing is for a 4bt/6bt?

Now thinking way outside the box...:rasta:

Next question for which I may be shot ...
what is the bore spacing on a duramax V8?

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,744 Posts
Measure the bolt spacing of the valve cover bolts, that should be real close.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i also have a question. i was reading an older post about rebuilding a 4bt and it mensioned machine work. i always thought that cummins engines have piston sleaves. all the rebuild kits i see also come with sleaves whats the deal. im sure you guys know.... my engine is a 95 if that matters

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
The Cummins B and C series Diesel's are a parent bore design, the bore is cast with the block. The sleeves in the rebuild kits are for engines that have been bored past the limits, the sleeves are pressed in to return the engine to a standared bore.

·
Registered
200 Posts
o so if i want to rebuild i need to take it to the machine shop. i was hoping i could do it my self.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
o so if i want to rebuild i need to take it to the machine shop. i was hoping i could do it my self.
yes to put sleeves in you have to bore for them, but you also have to bore for oversize piston and rings. There are pistons/rings for .5mm and 1.0mm oversize. I would not think about rebuilding unless the engine was puking smoke and oil at idle or worse. A amature rebuild is worse that and old good running orginal engine. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you looking for 4-valve per cylinder style head? Why not go with an ISB head?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts