Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,865 Posts
i DON'T RUN A fan on mine 4bt. .But I just have an electric fan mounted in front of my radiator.
The electric fan has a problem with it's motor drawing wast to many amps .SO i JUST put a toggle switch on it .
IfI notice my engine getting up to 200 / I've never seen mine over 220 before .But I can flip that toggle for maybe 2 minutes & It'll knock the temp back down to 140 in 2 minutes. Yes I understand it needs fixing but with the motor drawing to many amps . .
I'd like to find a 2 blade fan for mine .. But I don't have much room between fan hub & Radiator..
I'LL BET a fan maybe 8 INCHES LONG would keep mine cool.

SO I Believe before you spend much money on your new project ... I'm going to say wait until you get it running & then decide how much fan you need .
I'm betting any little electric fan will fix you up.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
I just have to say more about my electric fan.
I worked for chrysler & We had a Recall going on, on the PT Cruiser ... SO These cooling fans we're all going bad & Letting the Cruisers overheat .. SO CHRYSLER Said just change every one of them . Don't even check them just replace them ... SO One day a tech Just jokingly said Hey PaPITT ... That electric fan is good do you have anything on the farm you can use it on. I laughed & Said that looks like it'd fit my Bronco new Aluminum Radiator . He laughed & said heck put it on your work bench in the shop & hook it to a battery & A trickle charger .. I've helped you in you shop & It's hot in that corner. SO I took it home .& My new radiator had not been installed yet. .. SO I just laid it on top of the radiator & it fit perfect ... Even fit into mounting holes already in the New Champion radiator .
SO I mounted it & It ran about 10 year before It went defective ..
SO CHECK TO SEE If you need much fan. sure don't waste money on lots of radiator & 17 blade fans .. Because I'll bet
it won't get very hot.
But if you live in death valley you may need 2 fans .

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your thoughts on this. Many feel the same way.
And I know how diesels take a long time to heat up vs. gas, etc.
The man doing the final work on my project truck is worried an electric fan component could fail, with potentiallly bad engine damage. So, he is advocating for a stock type fan.
Problem is, finding a used fan is not easy, occasionally ebay has them but now. There are a lot of new "knock off" fans from China, but I prefer to not go that route if at all possible.

· Registered
1,865 Posts
OK Then IF He's not up to trusting an Electric fan. & You don't want to get one from China. off E-Bay.
THEN If you can get to a big metro area.. Like for me I'm talking Dallas/ Ft Worth. Or out to Abline ..
But you can go to some of the Cat or CASE .. DEALERSHIP .../ Cunnins ..
You may need some infor which you'll not have ... But If you can find a good Old parts man.
.. I'll say trace or take you W/P pulley with you & know if you can use a 14'' smallest or a 18'' largest.
I think you want the smallest & fewest blade & maybe the flattest one available..
& Char will also know most likely How you get a fan blade to suit you build.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s good advice.
there is a Cummins place about an hour and a half away that I’ve been to. Maybe I’ll reach out to them directly.
I wasn’t successful looking on the Cummins site for parts, but with a huge organization and an older engine application one on one contact might be better.
dave

· Registered
13,457 Posts
You won't find the fan on Cummins site because engines didn't come with one. That was added by the end user. If it was in a Chevy van, Ford van, other brands, those companies provided the fan. If your fan hub is the regular offset to the driver's side version that fan clutch is found at Mill Supply under part # 85-160 which is presently out of stock. The fan blade is part # 85-175. Now you ready for the good news. Price for the clutch is $324 and the fan blade is $216. Ain't that sticker shock. Have never been able to come up with a Ford or GM part for the fan. Freightliner would have had one too. Probably cheaper to change the fan hub assembly for one from a Dodge Cummins and those aren't exactly cheap either. Here's a complete fan and hub assembly from a '99 Dodge for $179. Another seller has the same part for sale for $400. OEM 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 Engine Fan hub Assembly with bolts | eBay

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, thank you!
Here is the front of my engine. Would I need the offset type or the non offset?

Motor vehicle Car Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle

You won't find the fan on Cummins site because engines didn't come with one. That was added by the end user. If it was in a Chevy van, Ford van, other brands, those companies provided the fan. If your fan hub is the regular offset to the driver's side version that fan clutch is found at Mill Supply under part # 85-160 which is presently out of stock. The fan blade is part # 85-175. Now you ready for the good news. Price for the clutch is $324 and the fan blade is $216. Ain't that sticker shock. Have never been able to come up with a Ford or GM part for the fan. Freightliner would have had one too. Probably cheaper to change the fan hub assembly for one from a Dodge Cummins and those aren't exactly cheap either. Here's a complete fan and hub assembly from a '99 Dodge for $179. Another seller has the same part for sale for $400. OEM 1999 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 Engine Fan hub Assembly with bolts | eBay

· Premium Member
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
2,994 Posts
Thank you, thank you!
Here is the front of my engine. Would I need the offset type or the non offset?
You can use the fan mount you have with a little mods you can end up with this.
Fan: 1970 chevelle 454 V8 GM 3976064, ebay item. Drclassicauto
Fan clutch: imperial 215052 severe duty 73-97 ford f250 460

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts