Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the sticky about engine identification but I am still in the dark as to what engine I have exactly, maybe you guys can help. The motor came out of a P30 step van that had a th400 behind it. It is not intercooled and has the rotary injection pump. On the back of the block there is nothing stamped. on the intake side if I look through just above the injection pump there are some numbers/letters cast into the manifold. There is no id tag anywhere that I can find. I will post some pic's up soon, any ideas of places to look?
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
500 Posts
the tag should be on the side of the gear case that runs the pump. It's about 1.5" wide and roughly 7-8" long vertical on the side.

·
Registered
854 Posts
There is no id tag anywhere that I can find.
DarylB, his is gone, just like mine, and most other bread van engines.

Not sure why they get removed, the guy at the engine yard i bought mine from said they usually do that during recon at the factory.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have read the sticky about engine identification but I am still in the dark as to what engine I have exactly, maybe you guys can help. The motor came out of a P30 step van that had a th400 behind it. It is not intercooled and has the rotary injection pump. On the back of the block there is nothing stamped. on the intake side if I look through just above the injection pump there are some numbers/letters cast into the manifold. There is no id tag anywhere that I can find. I will post some pic's up soon, any ideas of places to look?
Thanks,
Ryan
Post all tag info on your injection pump,I can get you some info if the pump came on that engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'm going out tomorrow to do some work so I'll get every number I can and post up w/ pic's.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
DarylB, his is gone, just like mine, and most other bread van engines.

Not sure why they get removed, the guy at the engine yard i bought mine from said they usually do that during recon at the factory.
When an engine is re-conned a new CPL tag is attached. There have been sevearal 4BT's stolen and the first move there is to remove the CPL tag. I think the guy at that engine yard gave incorrect information, for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spent part of the day cleaning the engine off, it had a nice 1/16-1/8" build up of oil/dirt/grime on it. When I got to the timing cover low and behold there was the CPL tag, woohoo! Turns out the engine was built in 1992 and the CPL is 0986. Thanks for the info, now to get some parts.....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
bahndo glad you found the ID tag. But by the description you gave I believe it should be a CPL 858, but who knows.
Per several conversations with Cummins engineering; "none of the B-series blocks were stamped with a serial or CPL numbers." So people like me who bought engines with missing ID tags we are more or less out of luck.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Good news, Bahndo!!!

Others may disagree strongly, Ggg, but I'm not convinced that not having a CPL is such a big deal in a way. For starters, VERY few guys would ever try to rebuild their own injection pump, and a pump shop can rebuild it regardless of CPL. The various Cummins 4BT use 90% of the same parts throughout, and turbos are easily identified/swapped. Rebuild kits are the same for the most part. Heads may be different, either 7mm or 9mm injectors, but no big deal there. I guess if you got stuck with an industrial engine, or had a hi-power marine engine, there might be some problems. Other than that it seems lie a guy could just give a CPL #858 and hope for the best on parts?

Like I say, others may know better. One thing's for sure: a guy wants a very good paper trail [signed Bill of Sale with sellers business/tax number] and some photos of the engine where it was purchased, while it is being loaded, etc.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
bahndo glad you found the ID tag. But by the description you gave I believe it should be a CPL 858, but who knows.
Per several conversations with Cummins engineering; "none of the B-series blocks were stamped with a serial or CPL numbers." So people like me who bought engines with missing ID tags we are more or less out of luck.
Your not out of luck ,the pump still has a tag and I have info from Cummins that can get the engine cpl # and some have a ser # as well .( this info wasn't given to about outside of Cummins ,Yes I have guy's on the inside that helps out from time to time.

I hate to keep on saying this ,but they were stamped .
I sold a truck this year that had the blocked stamp ,the engine in this truck was a reman .

I never did take any pics of these ,never thought it was that big of a deal.

I wouldn't worry about not having the tag .

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I know from the engine type and previous application the CPL is a 858, but when I need to order parts they always want the engine s/n. I am sure others will disagree with my statement on the blocks not being stamped, I can understand where they are coming from. It is a blanket statement and like most there are exceptions. I didn't take the news lightly either, it was a very bitter pill to swallow. I talked to Cummins customer support a few times and even to engineering, and both said the same thing, so I am just passing on what i was told by a reliable source.The last conversation even got rather sarcastic, I told Cummins that them only stamping the ID tag and fastening it to a removable part only serialized that part, similar to attaching the VIN tag to a hub cap only, there was silence on the other line for a few seconds as they didn't know what to say as I was correct in my analogy. I have cleaned and scrubbed my block to prep it for painting and found no stampings. But there are still locations I have not checked yet such as under the gear case.
Sorry for the rant.
CrewCab59 I can give you all the numbers I can find from the pump etc. if you are still willing to do some searching.
Thanks Gregg

·
Registered
427 Posts
My motor #'s

Here is my pump #'s:

NR O 460 424 016
VE R 182-1
390 6631 1
011 542 49548

Turbo (Reman with Cummins tag) stamped 87 on the compressor side:
Kit 3802318
Assy 3528751
SER 501791

Motor date tag says 8_. I can't make out the # but it is either an 6,8 or a 9 as it is round at the top but poorly stamped. I need to get a reseal kit for this and if someone has that handy I might go try and get one. Thanks in advance! K.

·
Registered
427 Posts
self removing tags...

BTW, the tag on the turbo popped off when I tried to move the oil line for the turbo.... suppose many of the others had the same issue or mechanics pulled them and stuck them somewhere they could see them easier...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I know from the engine type and previous application the CPL is a 858, but when I need to order parts they always want the engine s/n. I am sure others will disagree with my statement on the blocks not being stamped, I can understand where they are coming from. It is a blanket statement and like most there are exceptions. I didn't take the news lightly either, it was a very bitter pill to swallow. I talked to Cummins customer support a few times and even to engineering, and both said the same thing, so I am just passing on what i was told by a reliable source.The last conversation even got rather sarcastic, I told Cummins that them only stamping the ID tag and fastening it to a removable part only serialized that part, similar to attaching the VIN tag to a hub cap only, there was silence on the other line for a few seconds as they didn't know what to say as I was correct in my analogy. I have cleaned and scrubbed my block to prep it for painting and found no stampings. But there are still locations I have not checked yet such as under the gear case.
Sorry for the rant.
CrewCab59 I can give you all the numbers I can find from the pump etc. if you are still willing to do some searching.
Thanks Gregg
Yes,
I'm working on your #'s now

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Here is my pump #'s:

NR O 460 424 016
VE R 182-1
390 6631 1
011 542 49548

Turbo (Reman with Cummins tag) stamped 87 on the compressor side:
Kit 3802318
Assy 3528751
SER 501791

Motor date tag says 8_. I can't make out the # but it is either an 6,8 or a 9 as it is round at the top but poorly stamped. I need to get a reseal kit for this and if someone has that handy I might go try and get one. Thanks in advance! K.
Here is your info you asked for

CPL 0593
105 @ 2500
260 @ 1700
3906631 Cummins number

If you need more info or have a hard time getting parts let me know I will call my support team.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Sorry for the rant.
Thanks Gregg
Pm your info to you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Shazam!

Wow, thanks, the 260# is torque right, and what is the cummins #(serial?)
Thanks, thanks, and thanks again. Kief.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts