Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has a 4bt that, since its transplant into the truck, idles down slowly. This occurs between shifts. Its nothing like a 6bt where as soon as you let off the pedal it returns to idle. The 4bt just kinda takes its time getting back to idle and it makes it hard on quick shifts. It does have a gov. spring but it was doing it before that. Anybody else having this problem? Is this a 4bt thing? Let me know whatcha think. Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
First thing I'd check would be the throttle linkage. Make sure it operates smoothly from idle to WOT and back with no sticking, binding, etc. Assuming your friend's 4BT is equipped with a VE IP, having the full fuel screw in too far can also cause this. Last, I recall a 2.2 Mitsubishi diesel I was working on several years ago that had this same problem. It was so worn out it was pushing enough oil past the rings that the oil was continuing combustion even though the throttle had been closed. Hopefully, for your friend's sake, the latter is not the case in this instance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, Ill tell him. Hes got POD's so it may be something that he will have to live with. The POD's need all the fuel and timing he can give it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts