Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any first hand experience using these mounts on their engine? i currently have lord knock off liquid mounts on mine, but one is rubbed through and im not happy overall with the set up. im curious if his claims of not needing liquid mount with his design is accurate, or a sales pitch. these are super tempting and look well made, along with being nicer than anything i could cut/glue together myself. thanks

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Those mounts look interesting but need know more. His ideas about having the mounts centered etc are all good. His photos only show the mounts with an SAE bellhousing and a high mount starter. I suspect you may run into interference using the Ford, GM, or Dodge flywheel adapters where the starter is in a low position. That has always been an issue with the 4bt. Just not enough real estate on the side of those blocks to do a center mount. With the housing shown in his photos it can work because the starter is out of the way. I would probably argue his point that a 45 deg rubber mount will control the 4bt vibration better than a Lord mount. The clones that are out there are not quite as good as the original Lord units. Everyone tends to go for those because of cost. Lord build aircraft engine mount and their fluid type that was used on the 4bt is not cheap. The closest copy is the Anchor 2859 which you can buy for $17.51 at Rock Auto. The genuine Lord units which are called Fluidlastic may cost $200-300 each. They show a J-18569 which is rated up to 400 lbs. each and there is an FL-1002 which carries up to 920 lbs. That one is spec'd for generator sets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the anchor mounts are what i currently have. they do an ok job, but i have the rub through issue with one, and i dont like previous owners crossmember (which i have since modified). i see what you mean about the adapter plate, but i think/hope the forward offset he has made on his will clear the starter. i need to take a closer look at mime, i think the front two bolts of the block are visible and in front of my starter.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
The correct mount for the Lord type should look something like the first photo below. As you can see, the member who did this was a master welder with a capital "M". People who can weld like that are few and far between. Don't think the bolt access is as much of an issue as other problems. The other photo below shows a 4bt with the Ford adapter setup. As you can see the stock starter come almost to the center of the block. Another issue is the turbo oil drain. A GM adapter uses the same starter. On a Dodge adapter you have the starter on the opposite side but it isn't short. If you had a power steering/vacuum pump combo mounted the center engine mount couldn't work. The cost of these engine mounts is not a big factor but you'd have to mount them up to be sure everything clears. Of course you'll have to make your own frame mounts. Also found another photo from this same company. The turbo oil drain appears to go through the mount so that may not be an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i emailed the company yesterday, he says it works with driver and passenger side starters specifically a dodge based set up. since that is my setup, i got a pair coming. ill follow up once i eventually get them installed.

the pic you attached is indeed a master welded set up. it would take me weeks and weeks to make something that looked half that good.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Yeah, I always look at that photo when I want to know what a good welder's work looks like. We have 3 o4 4 guys on the forum that are that good. May be a few more lurking out there. There were a few things in that photo from the engine mount company that look like problems. First off, that particular exhaust manifold it a top mount, not a bottom one. You notice the front of the turbo in right against the oil filter. Even using the cobra head intake boot that isn't going to happen. The rood use 4bts had a horizontal oil filter, not that vertical one. Might be camera angle, but the exhaust side of that HX30W appears to be aimed right into the hole for the starter. 4bt's did use that SAE housing be they were always a top mounted turbo. There were 2 other SAE housings, one with the starter in a lower position and one with the starter on the other side. Both those work with the low mounted turbo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK. Farmstrong mid-mounts in an '87 FJ60. Driver side low mount Dodge starter, had to clearance mount to even fit starter. Starter was new but not enough amps to pull in solenoid-at first thought starter was bad an was dreading removal because would have to jack up motor to pull mount to start (turned out just piggybacked old Ford style external solenoid and all good).
Right side had to open up hole thru mount to even attempt to get turbo oil drain hose in there. No way fit vertical oil filter with low mount turbo, these crappy pics show horizontal w/ cobra head.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm using those mounts in my f150 4bt with an nv4500 setup. Had to shorten and increase the angle of the passenger side one to match the crossmember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
anyone have any first hand experience using these mounts on their engine? i currently have lord knock off liquid mounts on mine, but one is rubbed through and im not happy overall with the set up. im curious if his claims of not needing liquid mount with his design is accurate, or a sales pitch. these are super tempting and look well made, along with being nicer than anything i could cut/glue together myself. thanks

I used these on my 4bt Swap into my 89 Bronco. These were well made and fit as described. Depending on the transmission/ adapter plate you use you could have clearance issues with starter. I used a big block E-4OD. I had to trim the mount a bit to fit the starter under it.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
Sounds like those mounts were well made but needed a bit more engineering to fit the various transmission mounts. The turbo oil drain always seems to be a bit of a problem. Starter clearance for the Dodge type mount has also come up. Some have modified that to clock the starter to a different position to gain clearance. You can kind of see why most applications use the front mounts. They are just less of a hassle. The SAE adapter he show in the photo actually used a 3 point mounting system with 1 in the center front and 2 out back on the adapter. See photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how are the vibrations using his brackets and biscuit mounts? thanks for the heads up on clearancing.

char, my turbo is on a flipped manifold and up nice and high/out of the way. im hoping my flexible metal drain line can move enough to clear, if not ive got another shorter one, as well as parts i can use to piece a drain together.

i took a closer look last night, it looks like i will be able to bolt on the new brackets and fab the frame side mount with my current forward mounts in place....at least i hope so. ill post pics and how it feels compared to the liquid mounts once i get them in.

·
Registered
12,074 Posts
I would suspect those Dodge type mounts would transfer quite a bit of vibration to the frame. They are designed for an engine that weighs 350 lbs more and vibrates a whole lot less than a 4bt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It shakes on shutdown, but other than that I feel like it vibrates like a diesel. Doesn’t seem excessive at all but this is my first 4bt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts