Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys used any noise suppressents on the 4bta i am looking for any imput i would like to tone down the exterior/interior noise a little i have linex the inside tub and fire wall side of my jeep tub, it helps a little but looking for more.
thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
noise insulation (poor man's method)

I have caught flack on telling others about this method. Someone even suggested at the TDR site that it was an extreme fire hazard. I will let more sensible people here decide that. Oh yeh, please don't start camp fires in your cab if you do this.
In the foot wells I have glued three layers of roofing shingles using urathane roof chaulking. I have also placed "Ice Guard" roofing membrane between those layers in areas. The urathane adhesive works well on both of these materials. The sound reduction is dramatic especially if you have the whole dash out and insulate all the way up to your windshield. If you've ever looked at the sound proofing under your carpet on a truck it looks like roofing tar imbeded in paper layers. I have also used self sticking rubberized roofing membrane behind the seats on the cab back wall. It's also very important to stuff insulation in the shifter boot. If you have read any of the "Sound Nazi" postings at TDR there are some real extremes all the way to glueing lead sheets around your oil pan. This is a very big sound source. It acts very much like a drum the way it transmits sound. Guys over at TDR have gone to the extreme of glueing lead sheets over every surface inside and outside the cab and wrap the exhaust piping with heat shield type sound deadener all the way past the cab. You will nitice a common factor in all this. You have to introduce mass to absorb sound. Some of the more exotic ( $$$$chaching) sound insulators go as far as traping sound in the layers; that is to say alternate dense and softer sound absorbers. The sound tends to be stopped or slowed down by the dense layers and absorbed by the softer layers. The softer layers must have the ability to capture the energy and disipate it in another form of energy, i.e. heat. Obviously no sound absorbing material is going to get hot to the touch from this but on a very small scale it does heat slighty. I have done this in my truck by alternating roof shingles with rubberized roofing membrane. Roofing shingles and membrane are a lot less expensive than the aftermarket sound absorbers. Some of those aftermarket sound deadener look very much like roofing membrane with a foil surface. You can buy roofing membrane with this foil attached too. There's your dense (foil) and soft (rubberized asphalt) layer you want to use. A role of the roofing membrane without foil is about $50 but goes a long way and can be shared with others or used on your next roofing project. A pack of shingles are not anywhere near the cost of the tiny sheets of aftermarket deadener.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Look at www.b-quiet.com. I used a combination of the brown bread and the L-comp in my F350 Powerstroke crew, it made a huge difference, like a mercedes now at highway speeds. $$$ though, think I spent about $600 plus 3 days to totally gut the interior to install. There will never be any question that its a diesel though, especially under acceleration. Just wanted to tone it down for the long highway trips which it did just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts