Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 6.7 Cummins I am putting into a Ford OBS, the project has been on hold for a couple of years due to unexpected move/remodel...

I am getting geared up to start back into this winter, and the biggest hurdle I have is figuring out what to do with the engine paint. (I know sounds crazy but it is important to me).

2 years ago, I washed the engine several times over with a degreaser, wire wheeled, flapper wheeled, rubbed it down with surface cleaner, then put on rustoleum industrial high heat primer, followed by engine enamel. Well as the engine has sat the last couple of years the paint is flaking off down to bare metal in some places with the rust coming through in others.

Then engine is assembled, never took head off or anything just cover ports.

What to do? I could try to remove the paint with oven cleaner (I have heard of this), but then how do I make sure the new paint sticks this time. To some degree it is a good thing I didn't complete the swap, as now I have a chance to fix this. Thinking my prep was no where near good enough, and the rustoleum primer was also poor choice. Been thinking of punting and have the engine hot dipped, but that means all new gaskets, etc. I am not sure I want to invest that....

·
3,907 Posts
To make the oven cleaner work to its' full potential, you'll need an oven large enough to fit the engine.

If you find one, let us know the brand and model so those of us that Craigslist / garage sale can keep an eye out for such a unicorn.

As for the paint, it definitely sounds like a prep failure, oven cleaner would cure that as it should leave a similar surface to an etch product.

However, just like with an etching product, you have to neutralize what is left, or it could do exactly what it's doing now (paint flaking or rust bleeding through it).

I have no way to tell if that is exactly what happened before, but it's worth a shot, if the oven isn't too expensive to procure or rent.

As you can imagine, you don't want to bake your engine as hot as the oven cleaner recommends Yu get your oven (I wouldn't take it over 250, probably stay around 225°F, but that's me).

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I had read using oven cleaner with a garbage bag over an engine..for several days, never heard anything about putting in a oven. Given this 1000lb engine it would have to be a walk in oven, at that point it I would just pull the head, etc. and hot dip it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just a thought on the oven, but any shop that does powder coating should have a giant walk in oven for baking on the p coat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
So i have a 6.7 Cummins I am putting into a Ford OBS, the project has been on hold for a couple of years due to unexpected move/remodel...

I am getting geared up to start back into this winter, and the biggest hurdle I have is figuring out what to do with the engine paint. (I know sounds crazy but it is important to me).

2 years ago, I washed the engine several times over with a degreaser, wire wheeled, flapper wheeled, rubbed it down with surface cleaner, then put on rustoleum industrial high heat primer, followed by engine enamel. Well as the engine has sat the last couple of years the paint is flaking off down to bare metal in some places with the rust coming through in others.

Then engine is assembled, never took head off or anything just cover ports.

What to do? I could try to remove the paint with oven cleaner (I have heard of this), but then how do I make sure the new paint sticks this time. To some degree it is a good thing I didn't complete the swap, as now I have a chance to fix this. Thinking my prep was no where near good enough, and the rustoleum primer was also poor choice. Been thinking of punting and have the engine hot dipped, but that means all new gaskets, etc. I am not sure I want to invest that....

It sounds like the only thing that could had caused the paint to peel off is that maybe you didn't fully get the degreaser off or the surface cleaner off. The next thing I see that could be a problem was your choice of paint. Rustoleum isn't a high quality paint.

Sadly, you'll have to strip the paint off again. The oven cleaner isn't such a great idea, but you won't need an oven. Just run the engine and it should get warm enough….but I doubt it's an effective paint remover anyway or it would strip off the paint inside a typical kitchen oven. Go with an appropriate paint remover, and make sure it is cleaned off before you repaint the engine. Wipe the metal with mineral spirits not surface cleaner, and use a good quality engine paint, such as Eastwoods engine paint

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like the only thing that could had caused the paint to peel off is that maybe you didn't fully get the degreaser off or the surface cleaner off. The next thing I see that could be a problem was your choice of paint. Rustoleum isn't a high quality paint.

Sadly, you'll have to strip the paint off again. The oven cleaner isn't such a great idea, but you won't need an oven. Just run the engine and it should get warm enough….but I doubt it's an effective paint remover anyway or it would strip off the paint inside a typical kitchen oven. Go with an appropriate paint remover, and make sure it is cleaned off before you repaint the engine. Wipe the metal with mineral spirits not surface cleaner, and use a good quality engine paint, such as Eastwoods engine paint

Ed
I think you are correct on all accounts. Thanks for posting and the recommendation on engine paint, getting shop in order before tackling this again. Good news is the longer I wait the more that paint seems to be just flaking off..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have used oven cleaner before.......no oven necessary........the biggest hurdle with it is you need to be able to hose it off after using it to neutralize it. It works quick and will remove built up grease as well as paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, going to try both the soy gel and oven cleaner for sure. I have drains and water in the shop so hosing it off shouldn't be too big of deal. Gives me some home hope it won't be too bad.

Everyone think the Eastwood paint is the way to go?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts