Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably not quite the norm around here since it seems most have trucks, but I have a '66 Falcon that is a daily driver with a 200 I6, getting about 20-22 mpg on the highway. Have been looking around and seen how much better gas mileage some trucks are getting with diesel's vs. gas engines. Leads me to believe that with the correct diesel, the little Falcon could easily double it's current gas mileage?

What kind of diesel would you guys recommend for a car the size of a Falcon? If need be, I could do a Mustang II front end on the car to eliminate clearance problems with the shock towers. Was thinking something along the lines of the Diesel's that came in the old Ranger's in the 80's, or some other small diesel. I am not concerned about having a super quick car, this car sees mostly highway driving and I would just like to get the best mileage possible running 65-75 mph.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Mercedes diesel? I'd say with an EFI 300 six and a 5 speed you'd be well in excess of 30 MPG with gobs of power for that little car. And it would bolt in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 300 is a "big block" six cylinder, where as the 200 is a small block. The 300 would be a very tight fit (length wise), if it would fit at all, and would certainly not be bolt in since there were never any motor mounts available for a 300 in a Falcon and the 200 has a different bell housing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
As averageF250 mentioned, the Mercedes 5 cyl turbo diesel would be a very good candidate. And there is large amounts of 'net support on this engine too.

Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd say a Nissan SD-22 or SD-22T, like the ones used in the Datsun trucks in the early 80s. The SD-33 6-cylinder version was used in the IHC Scouts.
Wilcap (I think) used to make adapters to put the SD-22 into Pintos and such, you might be able to mix and match parts to make it a fairly easy swap.
Mercedes Diesels are $$$$ when they break!

CD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ever think of a Volkswagen TDI? Think 40 MPG and gobs of torque with a chip. Wiring would be a nightmare though. Best option would be a mercedes 300d Turbo engine and tranny. Easy install. Easy to get more power from those too.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
what about a 5.0 ? it is easy enough to get 27-30 mpg out of one of them. over here 5 litre falcons easily give 9L/100 k's. most small jap diesels wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister. our falcons over here got windsors at that sort of age,so mounts should be easy.

·
Registered
854 Posts
what about a 5.0 ? It is easy enough to get 27-30 mpg out of one of them.
Easy to do in a car, harder to do in a truck. My friend's 89 Mustang GT with a T-5 and 2.73 gears regularly got 25-26 MPG. I have never done better than 23, usually I get 20-21 on the hwy and 17-18 around town, empty. I have 3.55 gears and a Tremec 3550 transmission.

I will say that I have done as well as 15 MPG while pulling a 5000 lbs Lincoln Mark VIII on a trailer from New Orleans to Texas at 80 MPH!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Peel the body off and stick it on a Ford F350 4x4 chassis and cram a Cummins 6BT in there?

·
Registered
54 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts