Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 4bt that is missing the ID tag. (the one on the gear case)
Where is the s/n stamped on these blocks?
I called Cummins tech support and they told me that none of the B series engines have the s/n stamped in the block. I find this very hard to believe since the gear case is not part of the block and can be removed. Cummins said to try to back track the vin #. The truck my engine came from was re-powered from a gasser to a diesel so the vin will show a gas engine. Secondly the division that did the re-power work is now defunct.
My B series manual does not say anything except for the ID tag.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
We have taliked about this a lot ,try looking at the rear of the block where the head and block meet .It should be marked ,now if it has xxx it is a reman block and there won't be a tag on the front gear case.

take a look and do a little searching ,we have a great group and a lot of info.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read about that location and I scraped it fairly clean and found no numbers. Maybe I need to use a wire wheel and get it really clean.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I too, power wire brushed the rear of the engine at the block/head and did not find a S/N. I did this on three of my engines and found nothing. The other two are already installed and its not possible to wire wheel the rear due to space.

Paul

·
Registered
428 Posts
Its a conspiracy!

Me too. bummer, nothing, zero zilch, the only thing I found was a twisted piece of wire that possibly could have be holding the removed tag. I guess the ticket would be to borrow a serial # of a similarily set up engine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
No really!

I checked out a 4bta in a compactor/roller and it had no tag, and the year tag was gone too, but had been painted, probably a reman as the pump had a tag over the original #'s. It was a clean break, the rivets were there but no tag, just like mine, rivets were gone on the year tag. I think If I was to remove a tag i would drill or grind, there were no chisel marks on mine or on the one I saw today. I wonder if in the riveting process it creates a weak spot.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have only one block that isn't stamped ,I thought that was odd,the reman blocks that I have had and sean had the the xxx stamped in the block and had a reman id plate on the cover.
The Van that I sold this year had the reman ,so maybe where it was remaned at or where it was bought from as well.

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well it's nice to hear I'm not the odd man out....either there are a bunch of stolen blocks scattered across the country or Cummins did not stamp ID#s on all their engines? I too have pursued verification of my engine ID without any luck. No outward signs of tampering (grinding/file marks) to eradicate the ID and I have stripped my motor down with solvent to bare metal in numerous possible locations (no grinding or sanding so as not to distrub and markings). I take no pleasure in other's experiencing the same plight. I wish I had a solution for all of those in the same situation. It has been stated that it can be difficult to obtain Cummins replacement parts with only the CPL and that the ID# is also required...I hope this is not the case everywhere? My main concern will be registering this conversion when I get to that stage and the DMV rep. rolls his or her eyes and say's "not gonna happen....NEXT!"

·
Registered
808 Posts
In NY, vehicles are registered with the vehicle VIN. There is no place on a registration application for a motor number. I dont know about other states.

Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's what's great about Arkansas. All you need here is a VIN# to register a vehicle. The DMV could care less what engine you have in it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Problem is no data plate, no verification of legal for highway use...let me say that when I registered my TDI in Yuma, AZ they didn't care about what was under the hood...they just checked the VIN on the dash by looking through the windshield and no emission check...but if I were in Phoenix or Tucson, where they have strict diesel reg's (additional tax on diesels and sniffer/ opacity testing) I might not be able to register my project without such documentation? And of course after we put so much time, money and attention into creating these rigs, don't ya' just want the "jewelry" to finish off?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Try getting parts...

That's what's great about Arkansas. All you need here is a VIN# to register a vehicle. The DMV could care less what engine you have in it.
Its not just registration, Cummins is millitant about a serial #.

QUESTION: Will Cummins sell the parts to ya if you just come in with the part #?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Its not just registration, Cummins is millitant about a serial #.

QUESTION: Will Cummins sell the parts to ya if you just come in with the part #?
Yes, I rrder parts all the time from the Cummins in my area, phone call, give them the part number, credit card and its UPS'ed.

Paul

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have ordered parts from Cummins Cumberland with just the part number. Caterpillar is hard to deal with too if you dont have what they call an "arrangement number". I finally got wise, and just picked a serial number out of the range of serial numbers they list for the machine my engine came out of. They came up with that "arrangement number" and now they have it on file at the Cat dealer, and they don't roll thier eyes anymore when I walk in.:grinpimp: Also, when I did a 6BT Suburban swap, Cummins Cumberland looked up part numbers without complaining.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my came with the id tag gone as decribed here and my injector pump has a reman tag on it....
it is rebuilt by cummins, the id in the valve cover and it runs nice...
and there are numbers on the back of the block but cummins northeast says that is not the number.
might want to check with the engine rebuilders find out what they do during this process?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Here is another Cummins 4bta with the Block stamped with the engine serial #.I have 2 engine in my shop with the # 's and 3 others I didn't take pics of .

Scott

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts