Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not posting this with the intent to point any fingers at anyone in particular but with the honest concern of some of the pictures I have viewed with complete 4BT engines mounted on engine stands. My point of concern is using the aluminum flywheel housing/engine adapter as the mounting point instead of the engine block itself. These 3/8" -16 threads are a common failure point due to the stripping out that sometimes occurs by over torquing. Combine this with the severe stress loading on these threads and then adding the torsional loading effects generated by moving the engine around will eventually result in someone receiving some severe injuries should the engine suddenly decide to dismount the engine stand. If you are getting away with this practice you should consider yourself extremely fortunate as luck has been with you. I am not going to try to calculate the amount of energy that can be generated by 700+ pounds of weight falling two feet in less than one second but the loss of a hand or foot being in the point of contact between the engine and the floor is in the high probability range. Please folks, we need to immediately discontinue this mounting practice.

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts