Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks for bearing with me,
I was told my 4BTA had a Ford C6 auto behind it. So I said keep the "slush box" and leave the bell housing attached. I cracked open the side of the crate and I see a clutch fork sticking out of the bell housing with an external slave cylinder attached! Cool, I think? I plan on using a 5 sp.overdrive manual, which meant I would of had to buy a mid-plate adapter/ fly wheel/ clutch/ bell housing and trans. (NV4500 was the thought). Now I think this had a NP435 or similar behind it? Here's the part number on the Bell housing: E4TA-7505-DA with the number "84" below it. It has a 4 bolt pattern of approx. 8-1/2 across and 6-5/16 vertically, hole in center is 5-11/16 dia. Will a ZF S5-470 bolt to this? Options please.
Doug

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
All I can tell you is I have a GM and a Dodge Cummins adapter plate and it's way different from either of mine.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
The bellhousing that you have is the one used in the 4BT to Borg Warner T-19 close ratio 4 speed transmission. This is the one commonly referred to as the Ford 4BT setup but can also be found in some Chevy based chassis. The one I have came from a Chevy "Hostess" 3/4 ton srw chassis. The ZF has an integral bellhousing with both the "large" and "small" pattern bellhousing. The small pattern bolts directly to the adapter on your engine. There is some additional info under a link to zf.zip in the links here back to the Yahoo group.

·
Registered
808 Posts
To quickly ID a ZF to see if its the "large" or "small" pattern bellhousing. The top two mounting holes on the bell housing in the horizontal plane on a Small pattern are 5.125" C to C apart. On the Large Pattern are 7.750" apart C to C. As Bob mentioned you need the Small pattern which will be 5.125" apart.

I am still looking for a ZF-S542, 2 wheel drive

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might have a zf 4 you

I have one out of a 95 f350 psd. 2wd.It is the earlier one with 1st gear closer to 2nd than a granny. Let me know if it helps you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
To quickly ID a ZF to see if its the "large" or "small" pattern bellhousing. The top two mounting holes on the bell housing in the horizontal plane on a Small pattern are 5.125" C to C apart. On the Large Pattern are 7.750" apart C to C. As Bob mentioned you need the Small pattern which will be 5.125" apart.

I am still looking for a ZF-S542, 2 wheel drive

Paul
Also, I'm pretty sure the 460 gas ZF5 used a different pattern than the diesel ZF5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts