Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have ISB170 and Allision 1000

The question is it OK to just mount this setup with the 2 front engine mounts and a single trans mount that is located on the very end of the tail stock. Also I have seen people using the middle mounts on the trans as well. I was hoping to not use them thinking it would reduce the vibration transferred to the frame. Any advice from past installers would help very much.
Thanks in advance, Jeff

· Registered
231 Posts
Hi Jeff. I just have two on the sides of the block and one trans mount, have had no problems in the last 6 years.

· Registered
228 Posts
I have two mounts under the very front of the engine adjacent to my crank pulley, I have a torque arm on the side of the engine below the turbo, and I have a single mount under the bellhousing that goes up and attaches to the transmission bosses. I am trying to diagnose a weird chatter / growl noise that only occurs at 45 mph and increases with speed, but varies depending on the amount of load on the drivetrain. It is evident under decel, not there under coast really, and comes on at certain cruising speeds, but is not there so much under harder acceleration. I am thinking that I have too much movement of my tailshaft and it is causing a phasing / angular issue with my short shaft prior to my Transfercase and is being audible through the transmission case given the big cylinder that it is. I took go-pro video of it yesterday, and only have a snippet available at the moment. I have a nice 4 minute video I plan on editing and sharing tonight. I will post a link. Make sure your mounts are stout. If I had mounted under the tail housing and not the bell, I would probably not have this issue, but I was told not to support the weight of the transmission that way. I may just ad an additional mount for lateral restraint and not actual support and just leave the existing mount for support.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpikdzcjR-4/?taken-by=powerwagonbuilder

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have two mounts under the very front of the engine adjacent to my crank pulley, I have a torque arm on the side of the engine below the turbo, and I have a single mount under the bellhousing that goes up and attaches to the transmission bosses. I am trying to diagnose a weird chatter / growl noise that only occurs at 45 mph and increases with speed, but varies depending on the amount of load on the drivetrain. It is evident under decel, not there under coast really, and comes on at certain cruising speeds, but is not there so much under harder acceleration. I am thinking that I have too much movement of my tailshaft and it is causing a phasing / angular issue with my short shaft prior to my Transfercase and is being audible through the transmission case given the big cylinder that it is. I took go-pro video of it yesterday, and only have a snippet available at the moment. I have a nice 4 minute video I plan on editing and sharing tonight. I will post a link. Make sure your mounts are stout. If I had mounted under the tail housing and not the bell, I would probably not have this issue, but I was told not to support the weight of the transmission that way. I may just ad an additional mount for lateral restraint and not actual support and just leave the existing mount for support.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpikdzcjR-4/?taken-by=powerwagonbuilder
That is how Fxsu mounted his. Both mounting points on the transmission. He made a nice tail stock plate that bolts to the back of the transmission
Post #3 in this thread has a couple of pics.
https://www.4btswaps.com/forum/show...isb-170-3-9l&p=1047989&viewfull=1#post1047989

I find it odd that would be the issue because when I see how this was mounted in the bread trucks they only used the front and rear engine mounts from what I can see. There is no mounts on the trans at all
For example
https://www.facebook.com/chadmckinn...n-1000-overdrive-5-speed-au/1800985776896401/

There are several in frame examples like this.

· Registered
228 Posts
Mine needs some sort of tailhousing lateral brace. You can see how much it is moving around in this video. Mine is not mounted like the picture from Chad's listing but rather as a single mount under the bell, that is attached to the bosses on both sides. The single mount sits on a crossmember that also braces my frame rails at the upper link suspension mounts to prevent twisting loads from affecting the frame.

I am going to put some straps on the tailhousing and go for a test drive to see if restraining the lateral movement at highway speeds will stop or change my noise issue.

Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/UO0xO40uKCU

· Registered
13,447 Posts
Weren't the common rail mounts often triangulated? A single mounting point at the front and side mounts on the SAE engine case. Here's a couple photos of those front mounts. There were others.

Attachments

· Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
220 Posts
Here’s better pictures of mounts. Mounted engine transmission in three spots. At front engine, at bellhousing, and at rear.

Attachments

· Registered
652 Posts
I to am making mounts for my Detroit 4-53T in the next coming days. It came stock with front mounts under the front crank pulley and one on each side of the Allison 545. I'm planning on changing that to mid-mounts for the Detroit, using cummins 6BT engine mounts and using the stock 5R110 rear mounts. If I can't find enough space to do this on the cross member, I'll do the front mounts, #2 flywheel housing mounts, and then the 5R110 rear mounts to support the weight. I think either way would work well.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.