Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since reading this forum and others I have learned that Ethanol is a good Idea because you can ferment and distill the corn for ethanol and still use what is left for feed. So here's the question.....Can you:

1. Ferment the corn/soy/ etc. and distill out the alcohal...
2. Dry out and then press what is leftover for vegetable Oil........
3. Then use what is left after that for feeding animals...
4. Use some of the oil pressed out to make the heat to distill the alcohal...........

This would be a "triple Use" of a farm product instead of a "double use" or "single use".

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Your first obstacle would be getting an alcohol producers license followed by a distillers license. Without the licenses you would end up getting a visit from the folks that work for the BATF/E. You may remember the visit Janet Reno arranged between them and a religious group that took place for alleged firearms violations in a place called Waco Texas. The license is big bucks for distilling.
Your theory however has merit. The process of fermentation is science of its own. Your question could be better answered on a forum such as http://www.winepress.us/ where the wine makers can be found.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ethanol is NOT a good idea.

It is not good energy policy. The production of ethanol is a net energy loser. In other words it takes far more energy to plant/cultivate/harvest/process corn into ethanol than what will be returned by burning the ethanol as motor fuel.

It is not good enviromental policy. Growing corn in the amounts needed for ethanol production requires the use of a lot of nasty chemicals and incredible amounts of water. Despite all of the "green" hoopla ethanol creates more aromatic hydrocarbon pollution than petroleum.

It is not good farm policy. Corn growers are banking on getting much higher prices but it just isn't happening, especially for smaller farmers. Yet, dairy farmers and livestock growers are being hit with increased feed costs and consumers are paying higher prices for food. About the only ones who are really making money off of ethanol are the big agribusiness like Archer Daniels Midland and ConAgra.

There are other ways of making ethanol motor fuel. Brazil does it with sugar cane with good results. Making motor fuel out of corn isn't sustainable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with distilation is the heat required to drive the alcohol from the fermented mixture. I am not sure where you live, if you are in a warm part year round, you may be able to use solar power to heat your fermented mash and evporate the alcohol that way, if you are in a nothern area, you will need to use a considerable amount of energy to heat the mash after fermentation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ethanol is still a shitty fuel, pardon my french. It's clean burning, but the net BTU's per gallon is almost 20% less than gasoline, so in theory, you're going to use 20% more ethanol to do the same work as gasoline and THEN on top of that, as stated above, it's a net-loss on energy during the production process.

Butanol is a good gasoline alternative, with nearly as many BTU's per gallon. Biodiesel is the way of the future my friend :)

Industrial Hemp is probably the best alternative we have for Ethanol/Biodiesel/Other Products but it's not legal (go figure)

Hempseed Oil for Biodiesel & Feedstocks
Hemp Flaxen for Fiber (Clothes, Seat Coverings, etc)
Biomass for Ethanol, etc.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As soon as you start making biodiesel from hemp, some a$$wipe will try drinking the stuff to try to get high.
No, I am not anti hemp, just stating the obvious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Industrial Hemp doesn't have enough THC in it to get you high, it's a different breed of the same plant. http://www.votehemp.com has some good information and history on industrial hemp.
You know this, I know this, but someone would still try it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since reading this forum and others I have learned that Ethanol is a good Idea because you can ferment and distill the corn for ethanol and still use what is left for feed. So here's the question.....Can you:

1. Ferment the corn/soy/ etc. and distill out the alcohal...
2. Dry out and then press what is leftover for vegetable Oil........
3. Then use what is left after that for feeding animals...
4. Use some of the oil pressed out to make the heat to distill the alcohal...........

This would be a "triple Use" of a farm product instead of a "double use" or "single use".
I think you have the order wrong.
1. Press the grains and extract the oil.
2. Add water to the meal that is left, raise the temperature and break down the starches to sugar.
3. Rinse the sugar out of the mash, add yeast and ferment. The mash dries out to become animal foo d/hippy granola - or can be fed to animals immediately.
4. After the yeast has converted the sugar to alcohol, distill it multiple times to purify the alcohol.

You end up with corn oil, a low quality feed and moonshine! Ethanol may not be the best fuel for a vehicle, but it works as a chemical agent to help convert the oil to biodiesel. Or - pour over ice, mix in some lime juice... Personally, I'd rather go with burning the corn oil in a diesel - or making biodiesel out of it. You can grow a few steaks with the feed. If ethanol was the only product, it's still worthwhile - but the rest of the products really make it worthwhile.

Ethanol won't work well by itself in a diesel - and gas motors are a waste of time!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no intention of trying to do this in the forseeable future. I just want to know what other people think/know on the subject As this forum is mostly for common sense hands on people which a few mightalso be concerned about the environment. I've made ethanol as a experiment before(but not for fuel;) )I burned alot of fuel in order to get less. There are ways to do it. I do like biodiesel better though.........My near future experiment is the WVO unleaded blend.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I used to make a fair amount of ethanol under the "experimental" permit (free from BATF) and solar energy for the heating source is the ONLY way to go (unless you have lots of free firewood). I used to raise cattle and fed the leftovers to them.
I haven't renewed the permit since moving to Texas.

What is the oil content of corn? I was thinking of getting into sunflowers and pressing the oil for fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts