Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

ethanol/oil/feed?

7K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  LincTex 
Since reading this forum and others I have learned that Ethanol is a good Idea because you can ferment and distill the corn for ethanol and still use what is left for feed. So here's the question.....Can you:

1. Ferment the corn/soy/ etc. and distill out the alcohal...
2. Dry out and then press what is leftover for vegetable Oil........
3. Then use what is left after that for feeding animals...
4. Use some of the oil pressed out to make the heat to distill the alcohal...........

This would be a "triple Use" of a farm product instead of a "double use" or "single use".
I think you have the order wrong.
1. Press the grains and extract the oil.
2. Add water to the meal that is left, raise the temperature and break down the starches to sugar.
3. Rinse the sugar out of the mash, add yeast and ferment. The mash dries out to become animal foo d/hippy granola - or can be fed to animals immediately.
4. After the yeast has converted the sugar to alcohol, distill it multiple times to purify the alcohol.

You end up with corn oil, a low quality feed and moonshine! Ethanol may not be the best fuel for a vehicle, but it works as a chemical agent to help convert the oil to biodiesel. Or - pour over ice, mix in some lime juice... Personally, I'd rather go with burning the corn oil in a diesel - or making biodiesel out of it. You can grow a few steaks with the feed. If ethanol was the only product, it's still worthwhile - but the rest of the products really make it worthwhile.

Ethanol won't work well by itself in a diesel - and gas motors are a waste of time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.