Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is everyone getting their exhaust manifold bolts? I remember Cummins wanting about $20 apiece.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
The next time I take one apart I plan on getting some metric studs from http://www.mcmaster.com/

McMaster numbers:
Stud, set up, M10 x 1.5mm pitch x 95mm length, catalog number 93210A042
Nut, hex, zinc plated, M10 x 1.5mm pitch x 17mm width x 8mm height McMaster catalog number 92497A450 (box of 50)
Washer,flat, M10, McMaster 9145A140

This will also help to eliminate the common broken bolt in the cylinder head problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the idea of going back to 3/8-18. I can get all the lengths I want also.
Yes, McMaster-Carr, their humungous wharehouse is close to where I work. I just do will-call when I buy from them.
I have to look at Fastenal. Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thought I would point out that there is a serrated nut option that could be used. Maybe used with a flat washer? McMaster: (94920A600)

Also would point out that the turbo to manifold studs are shorter (approximately 1 5/8" long or 42mm). McMaster has some (91059A 556) which are 42mm M10 1.5 (will have to test to see if enough thread in either direction).

·
Registered
817 Posts
I know this is old, (except Jeep resurrected it:dustin:), but I got the turbo nuts, and a lot of other parts, I needed at the local Peterbilt dealer. So, try the local diesel truck, farm, and heavy equipment, dealers. You will need the engine CPL or serial number.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I know this is old, (except Jeep resurrected it:dustin:), but I got the turbo nuts, and a lot of other parts, I needed at the local Peterbilt dealer. So, try the local diesel truck, farm, and heavy equipment, dealers. You will need the engine CPL or serial number.
I also found my manifold bolts at a case IH dealer

Jake

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
don't forget to use antiseeze on the threads !
morgan
This, bigtime. Always remember however that adding a lubricant to the threads of a bolt that has a dry torque specification will give you a false torque reading. Subtract ~10% of the specified torque when using anti-seize in an application where the torque spec is for dry threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts