Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a HY-35 turbo that is going to go with a GM style 4BT exhaust manifold. The wastegate bits are in the way (interfering with the block) and rather than eliminating the wastegate, I was thinking of this:

Weld an extension to the exhaust manifold's output (about 1" and mill it at an angle (15-20 deg) so that the turbo is moved away from the engine block. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Mikel

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to do the same thing, but I have VERY little room. I don't think I could make a header compact enough.

·
Registered
477 Posts
You need to watch the angle of the turbo oil inlet and outlet. If you can rotate the center housing of the turbo clock it like it was originally mounted it will be fine. If you can't get the oil inlet and outlet at the correct angles oiling in the turbo will suffer.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But since the oiling is forced, why should the angle matter as long as there is flow?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was pondering the same thing. Mine is pressurized as well.

Been planning to build a header using a Mooktank 'kit' and
it looks like I won't get the turbine housing in the original
orientation.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the oil supply is under pressure. the oil drain is not. it relies on gravity to get back to the sump. it is critical that it points as close to vertical as possible. otherwise there are all sorts of dramas.

·
Registered
696 Posts
But since the oiling is forced, why should the angle matter as long as there is flow?
Someone on this forum has recently had a problem because his oil Inlet & Outlet were not at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock there is not alot of tolerence from this.

Gaza

·
Registered
329 Posts
My oil drain is not 6 oclock. Ill look and see what it is, but no problems from me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Someone on this forum has recently had a problem because his oil Inlet & Outlet were not at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock there is not alot of tolerence from this.
That someone was me. Take a look at the manual for the HY35W. It is specific about having the inlet at 12 O'clock. Mine was at about 10 o'clock and my bearings scored even though I have an enlarged oil supply line. The place I bought my rebuild kit from said that have my oil inlet at 10 o'clock was most likely why it failed.

·
Registered
713 Posts
That someone was me. Take a look at the manual for the HY35W. It is specific about having the inlet at 12 O'clock. Mine was at about 10 o'clock and my bearings scored even though I have an enlarged oil supply line. The place I bought my rebuild kit from said that have my oil inlet at 10 o'clock was most likely why it failed.
I wouldn't think it would cause the bearings to score. A lot of times it causes too much oil in the turbo and will blow seals. An enlarged oil supply line would make the problem worse.

On a lot of turbo kits people use oil restrictors to keep the oil from backing up. I use a smaller line than the stock line on mine and my turbo has been fine for like 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I mount the turbo straight to the GM manifold, the oil inlet would be at 9:30-10 o'clock. If I modify the exhaust manifold as planned, it would end up at around 11 o'clock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't think it would cause the bearings to score. A lot of times it causes too much oil in the turbo and will blow seals. An enlarged oil supply line would make the problem worse.

On a lot of turbo kits people use oil restrictors to keep the oil from backing up. I use a smaller line than the stock line on mine and my turbo has been fine for like 5,000 miles.

I deal with bearings a few feet in diameter regularly, and I can tell you that it's important tog et the old oil out of there. It froths and builds a LOT of heat, and pushes out seals. You'll really tear everything up in there. Picture the difference between spinning a propeller in the open air and underwater....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts