Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this goes here since it was already a deezul. I bought this truck in October 2012 and some may remember I had started a thread back then when I was looking for a truck. It's the 90 in my sig. It was a bare bones XL truck, no power options, all vinyl inside. Here is how it was when it came into my possession.

As of today, it looks a wee bit different. I took a break from the Isuzu swap to work on this project.

The new extended cab is also from a 90 donor, the front clip is from a 84, the doors are from a 92 with PW/PL and I have them working. It was looking like there would be no original sheet metal when I was done but I decided to retain 3/4 of my bed and just cut it to size.

The cab is sitting on all new poly bushings and had to be raised 2.5" to clear the frame kick up. I knew it would take some body lift and I was hoping for 2" but that was just too tight. I didn't want a full 3" so I trimmed down some 3" spacers.

The Goodyear MTRs are 37" Hummer take offs. They were $680 shipped for a set with 90% tread. I found a set of 16.5x9.75 steelies for $80. I sold the alloy wheels with bald tires that I had on it for $200 so my net price for upgrading was $540.

A few random pics from along the way.

Reactions: Merc460

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now have a 6'3" bed after taking 22" out. I got most of it tacked together last night.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to get the cab corner done before the bed can go back on.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
521 Posts
Chop another 18" off the rear of that bed for some good departure angle and you would have a fun off road toy there.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's tempting but then I'd only have about a 4.5" bed, even more useless than a 6ft. Have to remind myself this is the toy hauler, not the toy.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Looks good. Looks like the fab skills are pretty good. Keep the pics coming. Gonna be a lot of fun when your done.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a Johnny Cash special.

http://youtu.be/rWHniL8MyMM
It has sheet metal from 6 different trucks and 6 different years so I guess it qualifies!

Looks good. Looks like the fab skills are pretty good. Keep the pics coming. Gonna be a lot of fun when your done.
Thanks. I just hope it doesn't look too funky once the cut out flares are put on, it might have way too much wheel well gap, particularly in the rear. I'm really debating channeling the cab floor in the back to get the body lift off. The problem is I'd need custom carpet and seat brackets after that.

Almost ready for paint
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, there is a lot more body work to do and my budget may not allow paint until next year. Might have to roll in primer for a while.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plugging away at it...

Little bit of Peel N Seal with the edges taped with foil tape in case the tar stuff wants to run. I used a full roll and a little more for the B and C pillars would have been nice to have.

Some foil backed bubble insulation for good measure.

Nice to have a headliner back and it's not even sagging.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
looks mighty good. I plan to use peel and seal along with EZ cool in mine top, bottom and doors.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know yet what it's doing for heat but I can already tell the difference in sound from just knocking on the panels. It was a tinny drum before now it's a deep thud anywhere the P&S is applied. I probably should have applied a little more but I used a whole roll and didn't want to wait for more to put the headliner in.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Is that Peel-n-Seal a 3M product, like the tape? Who sells it? I'm going to go crazy on my Jeep's firewall, cowl, hood, and front floor pans when i get ready for final assy. Can you paint/undercoat over it? Since you put it inside the roof, I take that the adhesive quality is VERY good? Can it be used on the exterior firewall? Do you know what its specs are regarding direct heat and distance? Just curious about the effect of the exhaust manifold level heat will do to it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the Peel N Seal: http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?productId=1018733

It's not made for cars but a lot of people use it with good results. I'm not sure how well it will hold up to heat. The reason I taped the edges is because some people have claimed the goop on the back runs when it gets really hot and the tape will contain it. Some people have it doesn't run at all and have done testing in an oven. I didn't know who to believe so I erred on the side of caution.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Twisted, that stuff looks good but is kind of spendy for auto use, might as well use real dynomat.

Merc, the insulation is also from Lowe's, I had it for a home HVAC project.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts